Checked the car over this morning and noticed that the
O/S rear has dropped by nearly an inch in height compared to the N/S and is quite noticeable from behind (to me anyway)
Could this be due to the parabolic springs or the shock absorber?
Springs “looks” the same as the N/S but I’m no expert!!
When pushing down on the rear wings N/S seems “firm” O/S feels weaker but both “bounce back” about the same amount.
Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
‘66 MGB
Many thanks.
Rear suspension height
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Rear suspension height
I don't know anything about parabolic springs - are they the same, drivers side to passenger side?
I would disconnect the shock absorbers ( original or telescopic?) and check the ride height from bottom of chrome strip to centre of wheel. These should match and measure 13.5" -14.0".
Ian F
I would disconnect the shock absorbers ( original or telescopic?) and check the ride height from bottom of chrome strip to centre of wheel. These should match and measure 13.5" -14.0".
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Rear suspension height
Hi Ian, the springs look equal to each other side to side, so I do suspect the shock absorbers, they are the original type probably been on the car over 20 yrs 
Current measurements are as follows:
Front
O/S. 13”
N/S 13.1/4”
Rear
O/S. 14. 3/4”
N/S. 15.1/2”
from bottom of chrome strip to centre of wheel.
Current measurements are as follows:
Front
O/S. 13”
N/S 13.1/4”
Rear
O/S. 14. 3/4”
N/S. 15.1/2”
from bottom of chrome strip to centre of wheel.
Re: Rear suspension height
The rear does look a bit on the high side, but I don't know if that's what parabolic springs should be like.
I would disconnect/remove the shock absorbers and measure again. The lever arm dampers shouldn't really affect the ride height, at least not in a standard set up. They should sit somewhere around halfway through their arc of travel when at rest.
Some telescopics can exert a "push" on the suspension, but I don't believe lever arms can
Ian F
I would disconnect/remove the shock absorbers and measure again. The lever arm dampers shouldn't really affect the ride height, at least not in a standard set up. They should sit somewhere around halfway through their arc of travel when at rest.
Some telescopics can exert a "push" on the suspension, but I don't believe lever arms can
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Rear suspension height
Thanks for the extra information it’s much appreciated, cannot get to the car for a few days now due to family issues but will let you know how I get on once I’m able.
Thanks again.
Thanks again.
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Rear suspension height
Have you got any further with it ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Rear suspension height
Sadly not been able to get under the car yet but as soon as I am able I will keep you updated on what I find and what the remedy is (at the moment it feels like an itch I cannot scratch, will be glad to get it sorted)
- Adrian Oliver
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm
- Forename: Adrian
- Surname: Oliver
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Surrey
Re: Rear suspension height
Shock absorbers have no effect on ride height whatsoever.
They are purely there as a damper of spring action.
Perhaps the rear springs have been tempered differently?
If you transposed the left to right and right to left you would know.
They are purely there as a damper of spring action.
Perhaps the rear springs have been tempered differently?
If you transposed the left to right and right to left you would know.
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB