rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Not_Anumber »

MGB Hive have quoted 50p each plus postage for the small rivets for the chrome side window surround and gutter rails etc on my GT. Does anyone happen to know if there is anything special about these or if a job lot of bog standard Chinese aluminium rivets the right diameter would be just as good?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Ian F »

From memory, I just used short aluminium pop rivets. I think longer ones may foul some metal inside the window frame.
I may be proved wrong, but that's the best I can recall.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Bumpa »

Yep, short 3.2 mm aluminium rivets will be fine. I have used this seller before and have had good service from them. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361329812425 ... SwKxdnNPXe
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Ian F »

I was surprised to see that these rivets are listed at £2:19 each! Then I realised that "each" refers to a box of 10 rivets!!
Phew......

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks, Thats great I didnt realise generic rivets would do the job. At the price the Hive are charging I'd assumed they must be a special OEM type with stainless heads that wont react with the brightwork etc. Plus they wanted another £ 4.50 for delivery.

Do you happen to have a note of what length you used. For 3.2mm rivets that ebay seller has a range of lengths avalable in 2mm increments from 4mm right up to 22mm..
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Ian F »

I can't recall unfortunately. Probably the shortest you can get.

If you can estimate the thickness of the trim pieces and the thickness of the receiving steel, then you should be able to settle on a suitable length.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Bumpa »

I honestly don't know what length, but since my GT is going for a repaint soon I will need some to put all the brightwork back. I reckon you need around 60 rivets to do all the brightwork on the BGT. Surely 12mm will be long enough? As Ian said there are length constraints in some places. From that ebay seller 100 rivets, size 3.2mm x 12mm are £8.37, so 8.37 pence each. And delivery is included.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Bumpa »

Thinking about rivets I hope you have one of those rivet tools that attach to your electric drill. I find the ordinary hand squeeze rivet gun not only becomes tiring, but when the river nail snaps there is a tendency for the gun to fly up in your hand, risking your paintwork. The drill tool eliminates both the strain and the risk.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Not_Anumber »

I was wondering about one of those tools as a hand riveter can indeed be a bit of a haazard to paintwork. Is this the sort of thing: [urlhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404001400121?_skw=ri ... R56An8i0Zg][/url]
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: rivets for GT B pillar and side window chrome trim

Post by Bumpa »

That looks just like the one I have. Although it was cheap it has worked well, once I got my head round how to use it. I actually wrote myself an instruction note since it is only used once in a blue moon.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Post Reply