Fog light

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Fog light

Post by Not_Anumber »

Any fog light that incorporates a bright metal shield around/ behind it's bulb will work as a reflector by definition. Thats anything that was designed for use with a central incandescent bulb anyway.
It may be less clearcut for fog lights that comprise multiple LEDs in an array but i'll leave others to advise on that
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Allan T
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fog light

Post by Allan T »

Issug987 wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2025 6:30 pm Do you have a picture?
Was this meant for me Mike?

If so, sorry, I've been slow to see it.

Weeks ago I took several pictures meaning to show how my set-up looks.

None of the pictures worked, and I gave up trying.
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Fog light

Post by Issug987 »

Hi sorry for a long pause in replying, I've been away for a while.

Yes Allan, it was meant for your good self.

I ask purely out of curiosity and perhaps some confusion. My fog light 'conversion' was using one of the two reverse lights. I understood that your fog light was a modification to the rear light cluster, by adding a light source, behind the prismatic reflector...although I could be wrong. It's a good idea.

Thanks..
Allan T
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fog light

Post by Allan T »

Yup, that's exactly right - my two fog lights are behind the prismatic reflectors, the lowest areas of the rear light clusters.

On my Roadster, they're connected using the redundant wires intended for the GT heated rear window.


Allan

Issug987 wrote: Fri Nov 14, 2025 5:59 pm Hi sorry for a long pause in replying, I've been away for a while.

Yes Allan, it was meant for your good self.

I ask purely out of curiosity and perhaps some confusion. My fog light 'conversion' was using one of the two reverse lights. I understood that your fog light was a modification to the rear light cluster, by adding a light source, behind the prismatic reflector...although I could be wrong. It's a good idea.

Thanks..
MGB281
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 14, 2024 4:28 pm
Forename: Philip
Surname: Waterman

Re: Fog light

Post by MGB281 »

Someone on the MG Experience used a pair of Eagle Eye LED lights like these; https://carmodshop.co.uk/product/xenon- ... olt-black/ There are many variations of these lights and this is just one example. The MGB owner drilled a mounting hole in the reflector and with the lights being less than an inch in diameter there was still more than the legal requirement of reflector showing.
Allan T
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fog light

Post by Allan T »

Hard to tell without seeing them in real life, but it looks as though those lights are very directional, so used as rear fog lights they'd only be visible from directly behind the car.

The set-up I've used gives wider visibility, a real advantage with rear fog lights - and it leaves the rear lenses whole, which has other advantages.


Allan

MGB281 wrote: Sun Nov 16, 2025 6:55 pm Someone on the MG Experience used a pair of Eagle Eye LED lights like these; https://carmodshop.co.uk/product/xenon- ... olt-black/ There are many variations of these lights and this is just one example. The MGB owner drilled a mounting hole in the reflector and with the lights being less than an inch in diameter there was still more than the legal requirement of reflector showing.
User avatar
Paul Scott
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Fog light

Post by Paul Scott »

Allan T wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 12:02 am
Issug987 wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2025 6:30 pm Do you have a picture?
Was this meant for me Mike?

If so, sorry, I've been slow to see it.

Weeks ago I took several pictures meaning to show how my set-up looks.

None of the pictures worked, and I gave up trying.
Hi Allan,
Apologies for the delay - I've been busy and distracted.
I've just seen your post and I was trying to see if there was an issue. Although I did not find an issue with adding pictures - I did notice old pictures were not being displayed after the server move. I'm glad to say I have now fixed that issue and all old pictures appear to be back up and showing.

How were you trying to add pictures?
Did you click on the attachments box below.
>Add files
>Upload picture and select place inline.
This will add your picture to the post, as long as it is under 3mb and normal images .jpg .png .gif will work and maybe others but I'm unsure about some apple images as they are .heic which may not work.

Hope this info helps but please reach out if you are still having an issue.

Kind regards
Paul
Attachments
desktop.png
desktop.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 105027 times
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Barry Colgate
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:34 pm
Forename: Barry
Surname: Colgate
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fog light

Post by Barry Colgate »

Good morning,

Just for interest I fitted two Lucas fog lights underneath the the chrome bumper of my 1974 Roadster. I have been lucky in sourcing two 159SA rocker switches with illumination: 30429A Green Heated Rear Window and 34196B Amber Fog Light. I re-purposed the green switch for my Lucas LR14 spot lights and stuck on a suitable symbol. What I have not been able to identify or source is the correct bulb to fit the switches; however I managed to make holders for LEDs from bits of small plastic tubing, although they might be a bit too bright.

I note there is currently a Lucas illuminated fog light switch for sale on ebay. It is listed as a 33797 but is rather tatty. Be aware there are larger Lucas rocker switches available (coaches, trucks, etc).

All the best, Barry
100_3864.JPG
100_3866.JPG
100_3868.JPG
Allan T
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fog light

Post by Allan T »

Thanks for the offer of help Paul.

And apologies for any unintended ambiguity in my post - I didn't *take* any pictures that showed my rear fog lights in a helpful or informative way, so I didn't even try to post any of them.

I gave up *taking* pictures, rather than *posting* them!


Allan

Paul Scott wrote: Tue Nov 18, 2025 8:08 pm
Allan T wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 12:02 am
Issug987 wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2025 6:30 pm Do you have a picture?
Was this meant for me Mike?

If so, sorry, I've been slow to see it.

Weeks ago I took several pictures meaning to show how my set-up looks.

None of the pictures worked, and I gave up trying.
Hi Allan,
Apologies for the delay - I've been busy and distracted.
I've just seen your post and I was trying to see if there was an issue. Although I did not find an issue with adding pictures - I did notice old pictures were not being displayed after the server move. I'm glad to say I have now fixed that issue and all old pictures appear to be back up and showing.

How were you trying to add pictures?
Did you click on the attachments box below.
>Add files
>Upload picture and select place inline.
This will add your picture to the post, as long as it is under 3mb and normal images .jpg .png .gif will work and maybe others but I'm unsure about some apple images as they are .heic which may not work.

Hope this info helps but please reach out if you are still having an issue.

Kind regards
Paul
User avatar
Paul Scott
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Fog light

Post by Paul Scott »

No Problem Allan,
your post sort of alerted me to the other images that were missing.

So you assisted me inadvertently anyway and I resolved that issue. just making sure another issue had cropped up :?

regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Post Reply