GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
Andrew Robson
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:33 pm
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Robson
MGCC Member: Yes

GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals

Post by Andrew Robson »

Gents - a query slightly different from a current thread. I am trying to replace the heated rear screen in my 1968 BGT, and have obtained a new rubber seal from Manners in Oldbury. Unfortunately, when matched to the rear screen it appears to be approx. 2-inches too big in circumference, resulting in a very loose fit and a poor seal which might result in water leaks into the back of the car. To me, this smacks of lousy manufacture, yet Manners claim that they have sold several of these rubber seals and had none returned, which I find surprising. Has anyone else had similar experience and, if so, can they offer an effective remedy?
Richard Stanbridge
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:40 pm
Forename: Richard
Surname: Stanbridge
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Clare, Suffolk

Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals

Post by Richard Stanbridge »

Andrew.
I have done this recently. The rubber does seem too long but you need to fit it to the tailgate aperture first and compress it longitudinally as you progress, this will then fit the aperture. You then need to fit the glass using soap and water - note, this needs to be the old fashioned bar soap, not the liquid nor washing-up liquid (it has fats in it that must help to slide the glass into the rubber). Two holes need to be made in the rubber at the top to feed the HRW wires through. The neatest way I found, was to use a small hole punch. This will obviously need to be done off the car prior to actually fitting the rubber. Then follow the instructions in the manual (I tried to attach the relevant page without success, but it's not much help anyway).
I did the front and rear screens and they were an absolute nightmare, both were a real struggle. I have done a number of MGB GTs in the past and I have never, ever had so much trouble. I have put the problems down to the rubber being the wrong consistency (too hard). However, your supplier may use a different manufacturer to the one I used, hopefully.
Fitting the shiny trim is awful as well, but tackle it slowly and steadily.
Best of luck.
Richard
MGB GT 1972
Morgan 4-4 1937
Riley TT Sprite special 1935
User avatar
Peter Cresswell
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Stone, Staffordshire

Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Andy and Richard
You will find a copy of the instructions (which came from an MGC Manual) under this thread:
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=150
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+

40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
Richard Stanbridge
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:40 pm
Forename: Richard
Surname: Stanbridge
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Clare, Suffolk

Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals

Post by Richard Stanbridge »

Andrew
Have you seen this, it's someone else's way of fitting the rubber (I didn't do this myself though): -

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3135209

Richard
MGB GT 1972
Morgan 4-4 1937
Riley TT Sprite special 1935
Post Reply