Page 2 of 2

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm
by Ian F
Hi Ian. Can you tell us what the Heritage Certificate says? It should give build date and spec., but I think it should also say where the car was destined for after leaving Abingdon.
You may be able to tell if the car was converted from RHD, but again I think this should be stated on the Certificate.

I'm not sure exactly when "Federalised" MGBs began to be less powerful and (in my view) less of a pure sports car, but it may be that you have a more desirable BGT than the one available in the USA in 1972? So perhaps something to be pleased about 😃😃!

Keep us up to date with any news

Ian F

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 pm
by iab72bgt
Ian,

My '71 had smog control on it.. key word being had.. I don't remember this one having it.., I should have looked before I stored it.

I am quite tickled pink over this car.. and more so when I find out what condition the shell is actually in. I am putting it on a rotisserie and having it vapour blasted. Folks puzzlement over the car is going to be interesting. Even the previous owner swears it is a '69 :)

When I lived in Prince Edward Island, I had the only 'bgt on the road so it was rather unique.. and the 'bgt is still is a rare car in Canada. My best bud drove a '69 Charger RT with the 440 magnum so we truly were an odd sight to see when we caravanned together...

Sadly, on my heritage cert beside Destination (dealer) is not recorded even though it was shipped out Feb 9th. Drats.. Nice to know it came with a 1/2 pint of touch up paint..

Out of curiosity, is there a service in the uk that will buy something for me and ship it when the seller refuses to ship to Canada ?

Thanks
Ian.




Ian Fozzard wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm Hi Ian. Can you tell us what the Heritage Certificate says? It should give build date and spec., but I think it should also say where the car was destined for after leaving Abingdon.
You may be able to tell if the car was converted from RHD, but again I think this should be stated on the Certificate.

I'm not sure exactly when "Federalised" MGBs began to be less powerful and (in my view) less of a pure sports car, but it may be that you have a more desirable BGT than the one available in the USA in 1972? So perhaps something to be pleased about 😃😃!

Keep us up to date with any news

Ian F

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 am
by Ian F
Hi Ian.

Moss was originally composed of a number of UK classic car specialists, and although there are some differences in their UK and USA catalogues, I have been able to get parts from both sides of the Atlantic.
I would recommend the UK Moss MGB catalogue, or just bookmark their web page. The USA outfit should be willing to get parts from either of their catalogues.

Whereabouts are you over there? My daughter lives in Vancouver and is a researcher at UBC.
BC has just experienced a bit of a disastrous storm I think?

Ian F

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:33 am
by Paul Scott
Ian
my 75RB roadster has the same dash layout metal, crackle finish with rocker switches. The original steering wheel also looks the same as yours. But I gave that away to a friend.
Mine also has the single line brakes.

StaySafe
Paul

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:49 pm
by Paul Hollingworth
here's my 71. The wheel and the centre console are none standard.
Image

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 pm
by iab72bgt
Ian,

Yes, both coasts were hammered but in the East, it has happened before and the West, they were warned.. not putting monies into infrastructure does that.. but that is politics. I am in Nova Scotia, the opposite coats but we seem to swap a lot of Profs back and forth.. we have 10 universities here in NS.. one even teaching Gaelic.

No, it is a poster on ebay.UK that I want to buy :) Cannot find it anywhere else. I am also looking for '72 bgt advertising that looks like my car. Everything seems to come out of NA.

And I am having problems finding parts for a 71/72 grill that the PO took a crowbar too.. :(

We have finally been hit with snow....

Cheers
ian.


Ian Fozzard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 am Hi Ian.

Moss was originally composed of a number of UK classic car specialists, and although there are some differences in their UK and USA catalogues, I have been able to get parts from both sides of the Atlantic.
I would recommend the UK Moss MGB catalogue, or just bookmark their web page. The USA outfit should be willing to get parts from either of their catalogues.

Whereabouts are you over there? My daughter lives in Vancouver and is a researcher at UBC.
BC has just experienced a bit of a disastrous storm I think?

Ian F