3/4 anti roll bar

General MGB discussion
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Issug987 »

Originally my GT had a 5/8" ARB, and was fitted with two 'locators ' as MG called them ,part number 21A667 (upper) & 21A668 (lower). They were low grade aluminium so were quite corroded, the replacements were plated steel, I used a nylon washer and anti-seize grease just to ensure it remained free as it is quite an exposed area. Also had to make sure the
OD did not impinge on the chassis, the collars can be different sizes.
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Issug987 »

I didn't get the car from new, but it was in a very original condition. When it came to removing the ARB, the original was fitted with the 'locators' as they call them. They were very badly corroded. When we got the new 3/4" ARB, we looked at getting new 'locators' but the parts list was only for 5/8 & 9/16, they are listed at the time as being correct for the car, a 1972 (export) 5/8" ARB.

Can't imagine that they would not be fitted from new, they are, in my opinion, esential to keep the ARB in check, if they just relied on the drop link, it would put additional force on the ARB bush.

Worth getting any forum members to check, maybe as you say, they may not be fitted to all, I was still in short trousers in 1972 !! (Well just)...
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Ian F »

Thanks for the reply, I think I need to go and have a careful look at my front suspension.
I did replace the original corroded arb about 10 years ago when I rebuilt the shell, maybe I fitted them on autopilot and have completely forgotten!!

Have a good festive season!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Ian F »

A conclusion! The new arb I fitted to my 1972 BGT does have locating collars. They are fitted inboard of the chassis mounting brackets and are small blocks - unlike the longer ones I have seen in parts lists
So I obviously fitted them and then completely forgot about them!

Interestingly, the Moss MGB catalogue referring to their front arb handling kit states: "The original end stops are no longer needed as the uprated components stop the bar wandering from side to side". (Page 07 Technical advice).

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Bumpa »

Certainly on my V8 conversion with Hoyle suspension the 3/4" bar shows no witness marks of ever moving sideways.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Post Reply