Page 2 of 2
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm
by Charles Farran
In reality, when running ,the voltage at the coil on ballasted systems is i believe (from earlier discussions) about 9 volts given the constant breaking of the LT circuit when the points open & close.
Charles
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 pm
by Stephen Aitken
Hi
Wiring is connected up fine with power from fuse box. I can connect fine to the app on my phone and is showing green ‘connected’ note the ignition disabler is switched off). I’ve also added in a curve.
I’ve recently ordered a replacement cap and a flame thrower coil. After speaking with the supplier they said that other customers had an issue with the blue Bosch coil (which I have) (12v) ‘interfering’ with the 123 - doing a little googling reveals some indeed have. I’ve now got the parts delivered today so will fit tomorrow and see what happens..
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:49 pm
by Paul Hollingworth
My friends 68 B had had a ballasted ignition system fitted to it. I removed the resistor, wire down to the starter motor and fitted a new Bosch blue coil (as recommended by 123)
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 pm
by Stephen Aitken
Hi Paul
When you say removed the resistor wire to the starter which wire was it?
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 am
by Dave Wheatley
Have a look at this thread Stephen.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=863
A lot of usefull stuff there. A few other threads on ballasted ignition too!
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:51 pm
by Stephen Aitken
Hi
Just to note problem solved. In the end 123 wiring was all good but it turned out that one of the plugs had turned bad. Despite removing them, cleaning and regapping I hadn’t checked their performance (they were also relatively new) - had bought replacements and she started straight up no issues..
Thanks to all who responded.
S
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:20 pm
by Paul Hollingworth
The resistor is in series with the coil so drops the voltage the coil sees to a nominal 6V. When cranking 12V is fed from the starter motor so in effect you are running a 6V coil at 12 V which is supposed to give a better spark. I think it just ensures a good spark if your battery is on the flat side.
Re: 123 ignition
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:13 pm
by Vic Butler
That's correct. It's switched by relays and the 12v comes from a separate contact on the starter motor. It's a complex set up which has been discussed in depth on the forum. The resistor on rubber bumper B's is a length of resistive wire in the loom.