OK, let us know how you get on. If I can be of any help get back to me.
Ian F
Drivetrain clunk
Re: Drivetrain clunk
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Michael Barclay
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:05 pm
- Forename: Michael
- Surname: Barclay
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Abingdon
Re: Drivetrain clunk
Hi
There are 2 types of hypoid oil GL4 and GL5. Make sure the one you put in your diff is GL4.
GL5 contains additives that will destroy any brass or copper components such as the cup washers used in the MGB diff.
I also had an annoying clunk from diff. As you have,I went through the standard process of changing the brass and fibre washers with no effect. Turned out to be the hub nut was not tightened to the correct torque setting (150 Lb Ft)
mike
There are 2 types of hypoid oil GL4 and GL5. Make sure the one you put in your diff is GL4.
GL5 contains additives that will destroy any brass or copper components such as the cup washers used in the MGB diff.
I also had an annoying clunk from diff. As you have,I went through the standard process of changing the brass and fibre washers with no effect. Turned out to be the hub nut was not tightened to the correct torque setting (150 Lb Ft)
mike