Re: 18V engine questions .......
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2024 7:47 pm
The reason for doing this swap is mainly because the original engine is shot. Lowish compression on three cylinders, which did not improve with a wet test. It must have stood idle for a long time, as most "classic" cars do, one the novelty has worn off. There is rust staining on the cylinder walls, and I suspect the engine had been locked up. Then some concoction poured in, in order to free it off, but once free, the rust had affected the rings.
It had been many years since I have driven a petrol vehicle, and I had forgotten how hard they rev at relatively low speed with a four speed box. So, I thought I would convert to the larger, more torquey engine coupled to an overdrive gearbox. Will probably end up changing the rear axle too, as the original half shafts are a common breakage point, even with the standard engine. Might need a higher ratio diff too.
It would be easier (probably) to convert to a more modern engine and gearbox, which would be quieter, more powerful, more economical, and probably more reliable. However, as I am a serial modifier, I thought I would try and keep it more "period" and use BMC stuff.
I just hadn't banked on doing all this after only a couple of weeks of ownership. The only drive I have had in it, was driving it home, and at the moment, I am not feeling the love.
It had been many years since I have driven a petrol vehicle, and I had forgotten how hard they rev at relatively low speed with a four speed box. So, I thought I would convert to the larger, more torquey engine coupled to an overdrive gearbox. Will probably end up changing the rear axle too, as the original half shafts are a common breakage point, even with the standard engine. Might need a higher ratio diff too.
It would be easier (probably) to convert to a more modern engine and gearbox, which would be quieter, more powerful, more economical, and probably more reliable. However, as I am a serial modifier, I thought I would try and keep it more "period" and use BMC stuff.
I just hadn't banked on doing all this after only a couple of weeks of ownership. The only drive I have had in it, was driving it home, and at the moment, I am not feeling the love.