Page 1 of 1

Replica tax discs

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:05 pm
by Paul Baker
With the change in the law i thought i would seek out a supplier for a replica tax disc for the first year of my car. I found a great supplier who provided a customised disc by return of post and all for less than £10! I thought i would share the supplier details - creativetaxdiscs.co.uk.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:56 pm
by John Watson
Thanks Paul. Good quick service from that company

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:39 am
by John Watson
You are correct Bernard , I wanted it to show when my MGB was born ie 50 years ago next month.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 am
by Anthony Coates
I like many others have elected to display a replica tax disc, showing the first registration of the car. But it set me thinking about the consequences of not having the official disc any more. Once upon a time certain jobs-worths would inspect parked cars, comparing tax disc against number plate. Now the tax disc has gone, combine that with the loop hole in the number plate purchasing regulation, it would be all too easy to display a set of "not for road use" number plates on a stolen classic, and use it, most would be non the wiser. another aspect is the ability for anyone to check that a car is road legal just by entering the registration number and manufacturer onto the DVLA web site. Therefore the stolen car could be on the road with false plates and confident that NPR cameras wont flag the car....

I recently purchased a pair of self adhesive plates for my B, via EBay, and did not need to provide any form of proof that I was entitled to purchase the plates.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 pm
by Graham Wilkins
I recently purchased some period, reproduction, tax discs for my 1966 MGBGT from an excellent gentleman called Gregory Powell. His website is most informative http://www.poplargreg.com; email: [email protected], or telephone: 01432 353963; mobile: 07710267336. He charges around £10 for 3 tax discs and if for any reason they get damaged or fade, he offers replacements free of charge! Highly recommended.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:53 am
by Adrian Oliver
It's worth remembering that the date displayed is the renewal date and not the date the vehicle was registered!

i.e. If your car was first registered on 1st February 1963, the disc would show that day on the stamp but JAN 1964 on the coloured disc.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 am
by Steve Vos
Gents,

I can recommend this supplier of replica tax discs (he is also on eBay), he even tailored the tax disc post office stamp on the disc to that of the car dealership's post code where my MBG was purchased and put on the correct date (registrataion date for my car) aka the issue stamp. He sends you 6 hard copies but also sends the JPG files so that in the future you can print off your own. He also has a Facebook with lots of information on tax disc history and examples for different years.

Re: Replica tax discs

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:13 am
by Pierre De Rijck
This initiave is great! I own a MGB from 1971, imported in Belgium from Holland in 2007 but still originally a RHD.
I agree it is a folly but nevertheless , having a tax disc from that period on the windscreen gives the vehicle an extra identity.
Just looking now for a holder....