Page 1 of 1

Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:27 pm
by ROGER COOPER
My 1974 GT is fitted with with Minilite replica wheels and when balance weights have to be fitted to the inside it is very difficult to place them so they don't catch the trackrod ends.

The gaiters on the trackrod ends have been torn because the weights have been catching them so I shall have to fit replacements once I have endeavoured to get the wheels re-balanced with the weights placed so they do not foul the trackrod ends.

Whatever one does there seems to be very little clearance and it has been suggested that the only solution would be to fit wheel spacers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how did you solve it?
Roger

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 am
by Thomas Becks
Hi Roger, my GT has also Minilites and I had the same problem. I bought smaller track rod ends from MGB Hive and it works perfect. Thomas

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:45 am
by Peter Cresswell
I've just had a look at my own car (which is easy when the front wing is removed!) and the track rod end is indeed very close to the inner wheel rim. However the weights are placed further into the well of the wheel and so miss the track rod end. I got my wheels from B&G but any wheel fitter/balancer should be able to get a perfect balance with only a small amount of weight place behind the spokes. My wheels are Minator, other makes might throw up different problems.
It is very important when the tyre has a spot on the outer side wall, that this is aligned next to the tyre valve. When this is done you should get a balance with less than 1gm of weight placed about half way into the well of the wheel. Although these pictures were of my Mini Cooper, they do starkly make the point that it is important to line the tyres up correct. The tyre fitter saves his company a load of money as well as he uses less lead!
[attachment=0]Wheel Balance.jpg[/attachment]


Incidentally the wheels were genuine Minilite and they reckoned the wheels alone should balance with no more than 0.25gm, and the tyres were Yokohama A008 and they told me the tyre was manufactured to balance with less than 0.25gm!

Be fussy and ensure the spot is next to the valve!

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:33 am
by Dave Linkson
I had this when on full right hand lock, the balance weight contacted the arb, and just slightly rubbed the tre.
I changed the rim edge balance weight to the stick on flat item and placed it on the inner rim, the tre still rubs very slightly on full lock, but not too concerned with that. With 14 inch wheels then the smaller track rod ends would be a solution, or go to 15 inch rims, which would give the clearence needed.

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:10 pm
by ROGER COOPER
Thanks guys for all that useful and helpful advice.

The wheels are Minator and the problem does seem to occur only on full right lock as you say, Dave.

I was not aware that there were smaller trackrod ends. I shall have to make sure I replace the existing ones with these. I have already had the wheels re-balanced and the weights move away from the trackrod end arc but need to replace the ends now as the gaiters are damaged and apparently don't come as a separate item.

Cheers
Roger

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:03 pm
by ROGER COOPER
I have now had the track rod ends replaced but could get only one size. Also wheels have been re-balanced with weights as far out of the track rod end arc as possible. Haven't looked to see what is happening but the wheel balance is as good as one could ever wish for.

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:07 am
by George Wilder
Roger
Track rod end gaitors are available

http://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mgb25- ... id-17h3501

£1.41 each

George

Re: Use of Minilite replica wheels and balancing problems

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:53 pm
by ROGER COOPER
Hi George,

The track rod ends had gaiters but the gaiters were getting torn by the balance weights - that was the main problem.
Rog