Page 1 of 1

Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:23 pm
by Bumpa
My 1971 roadster which has so far done only 80 miles since I rebuilt it, came to me with a newish set of 6-leaf rear springs supplied by the MGOC in 2015. The car has covered very few miles since then as it went off the road with rust problems.

Looking at the car from the side it appears jacked up at the rear, and the ride is terrible as if the springs don't compress. I can't bounce the rear of the car by sitting on the rear wing.

I know there have been problems with some leaf springs not being to original spec. Who these days can supply a good quality item? Or is there something I can do, like dismantling the spring and lubricating the leaves?

Re: Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:44 pm
by Ian F
Hi Mike.

If I remember correctly I managed to get some OEM springs from either B&G or Moss. They have the correct interleaving and are fine on my BGT, with the Spax telescopics at their softest setting.

Ian F

Re: Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:33 pm
by Petejev
I fitted parabolic rear springs with Gaz adjustable dampers to my 71 GT, it has transformed the ride and I am delighted. Well worth the expense. Pete

Re: Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:53 am
by Paul Hollingworth
I changed the rear springs of my B about 15 years ago. They have flattened a bit, so we are somewhat tail down when laden with a full tank. The car sits dead level when empty. I have fitted rubber bumper front springs (without the spacer) though to avoid sleeping policemen damaging my mid silencer. The ride is fine though. Steel is steel, the elastic modulus doesn't change so if you have a certain number of leaves of a certain size the stiffness is pre-determined. I was told when a bought the springs from Midland Sports and Classics that they were OEM spec and made in the Black Country. The ride of the B is positively soft compared to my modern TF and that got the comfort pack springs.

Re: Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:00 pm
by Bumpa
Yes Paul, I think the MGB should be a fairly soft riding car, for a sports car anyway. Wasn't it originally set up with a reasonably stiff front suspension and a softer rear suspension, the theory being that this set up induces a bit of roll oversteer from the back end of the car, which makes it feel more sporty while remaining completely controllable.

Mine is anything but soft at the rear. It looks tail high and rides like the axle is bolted directly to the body. The thing is, what can I do about it?

Re: Rear Springs seem too hard

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:47 pm
by Vic Butler
Try Jones Springs.