Page 1 of 1

Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:25 pm
by Marconni
Guys any ideas! Just changed me electronic ignition & don't know why but all of a sudden everytime I right turn my horn beeps. I think its just coincidence that ive changed my electronic ignition.
Ive Not had a look at it as yet but wanted your opinions before I started.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:06 pm
by Vic Butler
The ignition and horn are on completely different circuits. What year is MG and is the horn push on a stalk on the steering column or in the centre of the steering wheel. More details are needed.. I can't offer an explanation without knowing this information then I can check the wiring diagram.
If the horn push is in the centre of the steering wheel it could be shorting out when the wheel is turned right.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:36 pm
by Marconni
Vic, it's a 1971 roadster, the horn is in the centre of the steering wheel.
I had a look to see if any wires are catching on the steering column when i turn right, but there's no signs. I was thinking it may I need to remove the centre from the steering wheel & see what's going on there.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:06 pm
by Vic Butler
That's the first step. Unfortunately I've just remembered that the workshop manual with all the different wiring diagrams for different versions of the MGB is still on loan with someone and I must get it back. I've only got the 77 to 79 years of diagrams.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:38 pm
by Marconni
I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks Vic.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:52 pm
by Tom Ward
There is a ring on the back of the steering wheel boss and a small contact behind it, when you press the horn it closes the circuit between these two and sets the horns off. If you are getting this on a particular turn of the wheel then it is likely something is shorting behind. I realise I'm a little late to the conversation, have you had a look?

Where did you take the feed for the electronic ignition? The horn is part of the purple wire arrangement on the RHS of the fuse board, did you take a live from here for the ignition?

Incidentally if you need wiring diagrams, they are freely available on the internet. just Google for 'MGB Colour wiring diagram' and you should find some nice colour sets arranged in a pdf file. I'm not sure the rules on putting links on here to other companies or people's work so suggest you search for it yourself.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:45 pm
by Marconni
Tom thanks for responding, still having the problem & a friend told me about this contact behind steering wheel & that it may be distorted which is causing it to short out when I make the turn.
I will strip the steering down at the weekend.

Re: Horn Goes Off when right turn.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:21 pm
by Michael Barclay
Hi Guys
The wiring diagrams for the MGB are available on the MGB register wedsite.
Mike