Page 1 of 1

Rollover rear cage for MG BGT

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:25 pm
by MikeD
I am looking at fitting a rear rollover cage with a diagonal but no harness bar to our MG BGT. I intend to leave the harnesses attached where they are, at the base of the seat back as I want to be able to fold/unfold the rear seat as required. I am not required to have a rollover cage but would be more comfortable if one were fitted for the events we are doing.

Couple of questions:

I suspect the seat back will foul the lower part of the diagonal? If this is the case how much would I need to reshape/trim the seatback to allow it fold/unfold?

We also use the inertias for transits and getting to events - can I mount the reels once the roll bar is fitted?

Thanks

Mike

Re: Rollover rear cage for MG BGT

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 1:14 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Talk to MGB Hive. They seem to have the best prices for the roll cage so are likely to know the answers to your questions.

Re: Rollover rear cage for MG BGT

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2026 5:52 pm
by MikeD
I have had a chat with them. The standard one they supply is with the harness bar and to have one without will be quite a bit more expensive as is is a special order. Being a simple soul I thought it might be cheaper or at least the same price to leave one bit off. I can only assume there are other changes required.

I may also need to sign a disclaimer as it will 'not meet regs'. Not certain what they meant by that as they do not know which events we take part in!

I think you can get the seat back up and down by slightly changing the shape of one of the top corners= assuming you do not have a harness bar. Still pondering as other mechanical stuff has taken precedence for a while; taking the engine and gearbox out yesterday was a bit warm!