Page 1 of 1

Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:36 pm
by Vic Butler
It's so long I posted about this I thought it best to start again.
Matt an MGCC member came to assist in the removal of the cylinder head today. On first impressions it looks like my modified head is ok but after talking with another MGB owner at the pub lunchtime I've found a local business that can probably give the head a good check over.
On undoing the head nuts some certainly weren't at 50 ft/lb. The head gasket, a piece of aluminium tissue paper had slight blow marks between cylinders.
I'll get the head checked and if hopefully ok I'll refit with a proper Payen gasket this time. I'm going to buy a torque adapter which is a battery powered device that fits on a conventional ratchet drive and bleeps when the set torque is reached.
I'll get a cleaner to deal with the block face too as it's messy.

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:13 pm
by Ian F
That all sounds promising Vic,
Ian F

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:31 pm
by Vic Butler
Thanks Ian. I really hope my unique cylinder head is ok.

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:11 pm
by Vic Butler
I left the head with RVS Garage. They're classic enthusiasts, one owns an MGB and another a 1937 Mercedes with 24,000 on the clock (first time around).
It looks like it's be blowing between cylinders although the gasket is intact. I suspect it's down to incorrect torquing by my ancient wrench which will now be replaced.

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:00 pm
by BlueComet
Fingers crossed the head can be saved and keep us posted Vic

Matt

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:15 pm
by Vic Butler
Will do.

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:01 am
by Vic Butler
Good news. The modified cylinder head is perfectly ok, just needing the valves lapping in which the garage will do.
I'll give the block a good clean with brake cleaning fluid and buy a torque adapter as I think the problem was probably my ancient torque wrench because some head nuts were easier to remove than others.

Re: Overheating problems part 2.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:15 pm
by Vic Butler
I've noticed that some of the head studs on the right hand side of the block have rust on the threads. This may have given cause to false torque readings. I'll oil the threads on them all and run a nut down to clean them up.