1968 BGT
Recently acquired a ¾ inch anti roll bar should I fit anti roll bar locating clamps each end.
3/4 anti roll bar
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Not sure I understand your question, but the roll bar is bolted to the two forwards chassis legs, and the outer ends to the lower spring pan.
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
I think he means the clamps that stop the bar from moving sideways in the mountings. I have a 3/4" bar and have driven my GT for 15 years without them and it has never been a problem. And it's never been mentioned at the annual MOT.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Thanks for reply’s, yes it’s the two side way stops on the inside of the mountings as used on the standard roll bar.
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
I have a 3/4 ARB too and have fitted the clamps, new poly bushes too. If you don't fit them the ARB can move when cornering, bends , roundabouts etc, not a lot but it can 'creep' one way ( mostly to the left for UK driving) this gives slightly uneven anti roll. For a few quid and 10 mins work, I'd fit them...
I don't think the supplier of the ARB or the usual MG suppliers sold the clamps, so I used just normal shaft collars.
https://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/cadb19z ... GkQAvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AZSSMUK-Double ... gQT=1&th=1
I don't think the supplier of the ARB or the usual MG suppliers sold the clamps, so I used just normal shaft collars.
https://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/cadb19z ... GkQAvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AZSSMUK-Double ... gQT=1&th=1
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Thanks Mike
I had looked at few UK suppliers but no one sold them many thanks for the links.
I had looked at few UK suppliers but no one sold them many thanks for the links.
- MikeD
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 am
- Forename: Mike
- Surname: Dixon
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: S Wiltshire
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Just in time for me - my anti roll bar has been creeping and contacting the balance weights on full lock, I was just about to get some cut down washers welded on but these look a lot better. I did not know these existed - my jubilee clip alternative did not work
Thanks!
Thanks!
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Were these fitted originally at MG? I don't believe I have these ony BGT?
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Originally my GT had a 5/8" ARB, and was fitted with two 'locators ' as MG called them ,part number 21A667 (upper) & 21A668 (lower). They were low grade aluminium so were quite corroded, the replacements were plated steel, I used a nylon washer and anti-seize grease just to ensure it remained free as it is quite an exposed area. Also had to make sure the
OD did not impinge on the chassis, the collars can be different sizes.
OD did not impinge on the chassis, the collars can be different sizes.
Re: 3/4 anti roll bar
Thanks for the reply issug987. Can I ask a couple of questions?
What year is your BGT, and did you have it from new?
Is it possible these were fitted by a PO?
My reason for asking is that my BGT 1972, doesn't have them, and I bought it in 1978 with no restoration or modification so I am pretty sure that's how it left Abingdon.
Ian F
What year is your BGT, and did you have it from new?
Is it possible these were fitted by a PO?
My reason for asking is that my BGT 1972, doesn't have them, and I bought it in 1978 with no restoration or modification so I am pretty sure that's how it left Abingdon.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold