Hood soft top
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2025 9:03 pm
A while back I ended up using my roadster over the summer with a torn hood on both sides just behind the side window.
It lives in a garage so getting it damp wasn't a massive issue in the short term. I have a BGT I use over the winter.
It was brilliant on one level, it was just like having a modern MX5 or whatever, you got in, unlatched and threw back. If you want to pop into a shop on way home you clip up then unclip again just like a modern roadster. I'd given up on saving both roof and plastic rear windows.
It made me look at the hood mechanism.
With a glass window (which many hood makers offer on a more RV8 style roof) the thing which stops the MGB roof from folding in one movement is the fact it would stretch and tear the fabric at the point where the rear of the side window goes from vertical to horizontal. Its an over-centre moment in the timeline of folding the roof down. You can see on the pic where the tear was low down that allowed the hood to go up and down fine .
If that were made of a stretch fabric at that area behind the window it would flick up and down like a modern roadster...
I've been playing around with design solutions to this and even had a vague look at the idea of grafting an Alfa Spider, MX5 or MGF hood frame into an MGB.
My car is heavily modified anyway so originality is not an issue although I get that for some it will be and that is fine if the car is an original spec car it's a shame to modify it in some ways.
But my roadster is many miles away from being standard already so having a better restomod roadster roof would be fabulous.
If you use an MGB as transport in the UK for more than 4 days a year you will need to get the roof up or down quickly so I've always thought it was a real shame it wasn't possible. The Alfa Spider was much better in that regard, and was an MGB contemporary.
Before I start putting real effort into this I just wondered if anyone had done it already?
I would have thought a company, marketing a 'throw back' roof that can go up and down from the cockpit would sell shed loads. I would have guessed that Frontline would have had go so their 150k masterpiece can compete with a modern roadster on that level. but they have not done so apparently.
I'd love to improve my car in this way so any ideas are appreciated!
Cheers
John
It lives in a garage so getting it damp wasn't a massive issue in the short term. I have a BGT I use over the winter.
It was brilliant on one level, it was just like having a modern MX5 or whatever, you got in, unlatched and threw back. If you want to pop into a shop on way home you clip up then unclip again just like a modern roadster. I'd given up on saving both roof and plastic rear windows.
It made me look at the hood mechanism.
With a glass window (which many hood makers offer on a more RV8 style roof) the thing which stops the MGB roof from folding in one movement is the fact it would stretch and tear the fabric at the point where the rear of the side window goes from vertical to horizontal. Its an over-centre moment in the timeline of folding the roof down. You can see on the pic where the tear was low down that allowed the hood to go up and down fine .
If that were made of a stretch fabric at that area behind the window it would flick up and down like a modern roadster...
I've been playing around with design solutions to this and even had a vague look at the idea of grafting an Alfa Spider, MX5 or MGF hood frame into an MGB.
My car is heavily modified anyway so originality is not an issue although I get that for some it will be and that is fine if the car is an original spec car it's a shame to modify it in some ways.
But my roadster is many miles away from being standard already so having a better restomod roadster roof would be fabulous.
If you use an MGB as transport in the UK for more than 4 days a year you will need to get the roof up or down quickly so I've always thought it was a real shame it wasn't possible. The Alfa Spider was much better in that regard, and was an MGB contemporary.
Before I start putting real effort into this I just wondered if anyone had done it already?
I would have thought a company, marketing a 'throw back' roof that can go up and down from the cockpit would sell shed loads. I would have guessed that Frontline would have had go so their 150k masterpiece can compete with a modern roadster on that level. but they have not done so apparently.
I'd love to improve my car in this way so any ideas are appreciated!
Cheers
John