Page 1 of 1
Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2025 2:52 pm
by Remyd
Hi,
I'm going to the Silverstone Festival next week and got a parade lap planned with the package I bought.
My insurance doesn't cover any sort of track use with my MGB GT. Even though I have told them that it is a single lap at road speed and not a race.
Do any of you know of any temporary insurance for this?
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2025 9:24 pm
by Paul Scott
I've done a few Remy.
Didn't even think of that. You are going to get to 30mph if you are lucky. Everyone on track will be going at same pace. Just keep your eyes on the road and I'm sure everything will be fine.
Regards
Paul
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2025 6:16 pm
by Bumpa
Like Paul, I've taken the V8 GT round Silverstone several times. It's all a matter of risk and how you perceive it.
1. The track is very wide
2. No-one is coming the other way
3. The pace car ensures the pace is very leisurely - if you get up to the dizzy heights of 50 mph on the straights you will be fortunate, so the chance of you losing control and sliding off the black stuff is almost zero
4. Anyone who deliberately hangs back so they can get up some speed will be instantly removed from the parade
I've never even considered trying to insure for parade laps, but it's up to you of course.
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2025 7:22 am
by Issug987
Have you spoken to your insurance or just looked at the policy? I ask as nearly all insurance does not cover for 'Track' use, as you say, but that usually refers to HPDE (High Performance Driving Events)...a gentle parade lap, is very safe and low risk, given the low speed and the environment, much lower risk than Driving on the road. By all means tell your insurance, but it should be no different to using your car off the highway visiting a National Trust property!!! You can get Track Day (weekend) insurance, last time i got mine it was £6 , but that was 15 years ago !!!
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2025 10:22 am
by Remyd
I spoke to the insurance and sent them the relevant paperwork from the organiser. They told me that they wouldn't cover it even after explaining that it was a parade lap and not a race. I did it anyway and it was most enjoyable.
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2025 10:43 am
by Paul Scott

Glad you enjoyed the lap.
Was it a mind blowing 20mph? Although I did see a few hanging back and flooring it.
Paul
Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2025 5:38 pm
by Remyd
We went around at 40mph reaching the dizzying speed of 50mph on the straight!
There was a driver that was weaving between cars at speed although we were told to keep it clean and stay in formation without overtaking.
He got spotted by the marshalls and spoken to. There's always one to spoil it for everyone.
Apart from that it was a good experience to drive around the track. I can now say that my MG has been around the Silverstone circuit!

Re: Insurance to take MG on a track
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2025 1:52 pm
by Not_Anumber
I did a track day many years ago when I was into building fake snakes ( AC Cobra replicas). The consensus amongst the regulars was that if they had a prang on the track they'd either just repair it themselves or would report it as a parking knock. I viewed the first as practical but wouldn't have gone for the second.
One year that I didn't go, I was told of an almighty accident involving the most elaborate and expensive 427 replica in the group which ended up burned out and the driver with a broken leg and other injuries. I doubt he'd have got far with his insurers if he tried to claim that happened in Tesco's car park.
