My Citron MGB GT is essentially a heap that I'm getting back on the road - note, not restoring.
The paint on the Minator alloys that came with it was awful so I'm rubbing them down and have got as far as putting some first layers of primer and filler spray on. The filler is a shade of yellow that isnt that far from Citron and it made me think - I could take the opportunity of having the wheels colour coded with the bodywork.
I'm really tempted. My wife is horrified. Everone who has seen the car has said "are you going to change the colour?"
Anyone done something similar?
If so, got any photos?
Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Since no-one else has answered, here are my thoughts:
#painted wheels, especially wire wheels, were very common on prewar MGs, perhaps body colour or red etc.
# not a good look on an MGB. If you want the car to look smart and tidy stick to silver/anthracite etc. I think a body colour would look like a cheap DiY fix.
# your choice though , do as you please!
Ian F
#painted wheels, especially wire wheels, were very common on prewar MGs, perhaps body colour or red etc.
# not a good look on an MGB. If you want the car to look smart and tidy stick to silver/anthracite etc. I think a body colour would look like a cheap DiY fix.
# your choice though , do as you please!
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Thanks for the reply.
I really like the look of vintage cars with painted wire wheels and, I hadn't thought about this before, my WW2 motorbike is army drab all over but appreciate this is a mile away from MGB aesthetics.
Its very hard to find any pictures of MGBs with wheels that are not chrome or silver or rostyles. There are a few black cars with black alloys - which I think look great. If most people are restoring a car, new wheels tend to come in a very limited range of colours (understandable, it wouldn't be practical for wheel manufacturers to offer matches to all the colours out there) and having wheels professionally repainted in a custom colour would be an expensive option particularly when the result would be a matter of personal taste and might lower the value of the car in a very conservative market.
Thankfully (hmm) mine is really just a mechanical & structural refurb so won't be worth that much when I'm done. The next owner can fix the bodywork & paint if they are feeling keen. But the wheels have no tyres and are in a state and need some tidying if they are going to seal.
Maybe I'll paint one each in silver and citron and see how they look. Wont get the full effect without tyres but will help to visualise.
I really like the look of vintage cars with painted wire wheels and, I hadn't thought about this before, my WW2 motorbike is army drab all over but appreciate this is a mile away from MGB aesthetics.
Its very hard to find any pictures of MGBs with wheels that are not chrome or silver or rostyles. There are a few black cars with black alloys - which I think look great. If most people are restoring a car, new wheels tend to come in a very limited range of colours (understandable, it wouldn't be practical for wheel manufacturers to offer matches to all the colours out there) and having wheels professionally repainted in a custom colour would be an expensive option particularly when the result would be a matter of personal taste and might lower the value of the car in a very conservative market.
Thankfully (hmm) mine is really just a mechanical & structural refurb so won't be worth that much when I'm done. The next owner can fix the bodywork & paint if they are feeling keen. But the wheels have no tyres and are in a state and need some tidying if they are going to seal.
Maybe I'll paint one each in silver and citron and see how they look. Wont get the full effect without tyres but will help to visualise.
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Here is a yellow MGB with yellow alloys; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimStuart3.htm
and another; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeonardMarshall.htm
not body colour but painted; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/SteveKimball.htm
and a blue one; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DennyDoyle.htm
and an oddity; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanRoot.htm
and another; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeonardMarshall.htm
not body colour but painted; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/SteveKimball.htm
and a blue one; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DennyDoyle.htm
and an oddity; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanRoot.htm
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
These all look very nice, but all look like expensive resto mods with so much that is not MGB.
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Yes they are restomods but the only exterior difference to a standard GT on the first one is the ST front valance, the second only has a bonnet bulge, the blue one you couldn't see any body mods. The black one was strange, It took me ages to notice the door handles had gone, mine is without the chrome/stainless waistline strips, I need to decide what colour my wheels will be, not body colour or aluminium, perhaps gloss black or anthracite, one of my sons will photo shop the options before I decide. I could ignore the minor mods and see how the different coloured wheels looked.
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Not an MGB, but my ZR 160 has the original wheels painted in black with a metalflake finish. That's how it was when I bought it and I like it.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Re: Colour coded wheels - yes or no
Thanks for this. Tremendous work gone in to that last special!MGB281 wrote: Sun Jan 25, 2026 7:38 pm Here is a yellow MGB with yellow alloys; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimStuart3.htm
and another; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeonardMarshall.htm
not body colour but painted; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/SteveKimball.htm
and a blue one; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DennyDoyle.htm
and an oddity; https://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanRoot.htm
The first one is closest to what I'm thinking of. Interesting that most keep a bright rim. I might be able to manage that but I think against the pale yellow it might not be work so well.