Page 1 of 1
SU fuel pumps ?
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2026 4:33 pm
by Not_Anumber
The original SU fuel pump from my GT is surplus as I now have an intank pump.
Are these at all desirable 2nd hand to make it worth cleaning up and putting on Ebay or are the original SU pumps regarded as old hat with people instead opting for modern solid state pumps such as Facet if they need a replacement ?
Re: SU fuel pumps ?
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 7:47 am
by Steven collins
I still have my SU pump on my ‘66 quite happy with it - if it isn’t broke don’t fix it - so in my opinion yes it is worth refurbishing.
Re: SU fuel pumps ?
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 3:29 pm
by Charles Farran
I'm with Steve on this as i still have my original SU pump on my 1980 MGB - with the added advantage that the later cars have the pump
partly within the boot & therefore not so exposed to the elements with the points accessible in the boot behind the metal cover.
Cheers,Charles
Re: SU fuel pumps ?
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2026 4:21 pm
by Not_Anumber
Thanks. I cleaned it up and put it on Ebay where it has already began to gain several views and a watcher.
I had thought for a while of retaining the SU pump to feed a small swirl pot tank that in turn would feed a high pressure pump but then heard from others that setup could be relatively noisy. In the end I grasped the nettle and cut a hole in the top of the tank to fit an in tank pump