Page 1 of 1
Squealing front brakes
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:18 pm
by Dave Linkson
Have fitted new EBC Discs & pads, and have terrible squealing noise all the time. The pads aren't supplied with any anti squeal pads, I coated the backs & ends of the pad backing plates with a generous amount of copperslip, but hasn't helped at all.
So all I can do now is fit the shims, but after time I know the caliper pistons wear through these at certain points, must be better than nothing.
Is it also the top end of the pad backing plate which is also a problem rubbing in the caliper? Anyone had any success with any of the pastes you can get? Ceretec, Plastilube.
I must get this noise stopped or at least improved, as its atrocious! Any advice on this welcome please...
Re: Squealing front brakes
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Dave
I use EBC Green Stuff pads (V8 ones) in my roadster with standard discs and calipers, with no anti squeal shims. I don't suffer from brake squeal at all. You could try doing several stops from fairly high speed (50 or 60 mph) one after another to see if that beds them in a bit more and stops the squealing. I have noticed that the Green Stuff pads need to get some heat into them to work properly, but after a couple on miles they are fine. You could also try taking the pads out and using a sheet of emery cloth on a piece of glass, gently rub the pad in a circular motion in case they have glazed a little bedding in. Make sure you keep the pairs of pads together and know which was the inner and outer pad so you can replace them in the same locations.
You could also try contacting EBC since you are using their pads and discs to get their opinion. You will find contact details at
http://ebcbrakes.com/
Re: Squealing front brakes
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 am
by Dave Linkson
Thanks Peter,
Have fitted some self adhesive shims and pad goo on the edges, still have some squeal but not quite as bad as it was, hoping it will improve in time & use...
Re: Squealing front brakes
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:41 pm
by Dave Linkson
Have now replaced the EBC Ultimax pads with TRW pads and in 25 miles have not had a peep out of them, except when braking to turn onto my drive, had just a small whistle, so overall am very pleased with result if it stays as it is.
My neighbour an AA patrolman put me on the right track, he had heard the shrill like noise as I just rolled the car down the drive and applied the brakes, and said that's down to hard pads!
So think I'll be taking the matter up with EBC, and asking for a refund.
Re: Squealing front brakes
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 pm
by Dave Linkson
Have now done over 600 miles on tour with the TRW pads and noise is much better and more bearable.