Page 1 of 1
GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:23 pm
by Andrew Robson
Gents - a query slightly different from a current thread. I am trying to replace the heated rear screen in my 1968 BGT, and have obtained a new rubber seal from Manners in Oldbury. Unfortunately, when matched to the rear screen it appears to be approx. 2-inches too big in circumference, resulting in a very loose fit and a poor seal which might result in water leaks into the back of the car. To me, this smacks of lousy manufacture, yet Manners claim that they have sold several of these rubber seals and had none returned, which I find surprising. Has anyone else had similar experience and, if so, can they offer an effective remedy?
Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 pm
by Richard Stanbridge
Andrew.
I have done this recently. The rubber does seem too long but you need to fit it to the tailgate aperture first and compress it longitudinally as you progress, this will then fit the aperture. You then need to fit the glass using soap and water - note, this needs to be the old fashioned bar soap, not the liquid nor washing-up liquid (it has fats in it that must help to slide the glass into the rubber). Two holes need to be made in the rubber at the top to feed the HRW wires through. The neatest way I found, was to use a small hole punch. This will obviously need to be done off the car prior to actually fitting the rubber. Then follow the instructions in the manual (I tried to attach the relevant page without success, but it's not much help anyway).
I did the front and rear screens and they were an absolute nightmare, both were a real struggle. I have done a number of MGB GTs in the past and I have never, ever had so much trouble. I have put the problems down to the rubber being the wrong consistency (too hard). However, your supplier may use a different manufacturer to the one I used, hopefully.
Fitting the shiny trim is awful as well, but tackle it slowly and steadily.
Best of luck.
Richard
Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Andy and Richard
You will find a copy of the instructions (which came from an MGC Manual) under this thread:
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=150
Re: GT Rear Screen Rubber Seals
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:35 am
by Richard Stanbridge
Andrew
Have you seen this, it's someone else's way of fitting the rubber (I didn't do this myself though): -
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3135209
Richard