Page 1 of 1

Tyres

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 am
by Patrick Sellers
I decided to change my wheels to ROstyle design to give a little more authenticity to my 1971 Roadster. At the same time I decided to go for a slimmer tyre profile as originally specified by the car's designers. I bought Vredestein Classic Sprint 165/80/14. My previous tyres were Yokohama 185/70/14. I have noticed a marked improvement in steering 'feel' and much reduced steering effort at very low speed. I have a 'stock' 1800 engine but I suppose that with uprated engines a wider tyre may be appropriate. With a narrower tyre I would have thought that rolling resistance and road noise would be reduced.

Re: Tyres

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm
by John Watson
Interesting Patrick, my 64 B is on 165 tyres and the steering is great, when MGB owners say how heavy there steering is just look at the tyre size.

Re: Tyres

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:54 am
by George Wilder
Patrick
I agree with you and John - fit the correct tyres and the steering is not heavy. Changing the profile too as you have done will help speedo accuracy.

As you can see I have a RV8 - now that does have heavy steering at parking speeds.
George

Re: Tyres

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:53 am
by Bob Featherstone
I have a 77 B roadster on 185/70 14 tyres, with absolutely no heavy steering problems at all, even with 14" steering wheel. I put this down to tyre pressure - the manual says 21 front and 24 rear, I usually keep mine at 28 front and 30 rear. I can easily turn the wheel lock to lock when stationary, if necessary.

Re: Tyres

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:05 am
by Dave Linkson
Hello, first time on here, looks a good site, as for tyres, I have 185 70 14 tyres, and have no problems with heavy steering, wouldn't go any bigger though, maybe steering components could do with a good greasing...