1966 Roadster Value
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:26 pm
Hi...
I know this is a 'how long is a bit of string' question, but i need a ball park value for an MGB I'm looking to buy.
It's a 1966 roadster in old english white with knock on wires. It has a switch for an OD, so I'm guessing one is present. The body is generally very sound (from what I've seen so far... I'm getting it up on a ramp this weekend for a proper poke about), but the paint is scruffy, especially on the front wings which look like they've been replaced with new panels and so badly sprayed that the paint is peeling off revealing the black primer beneath. The other point of concern (so far) is some surface rust appearing through the paint on the beads that run along the front and rear wings. The rears worry me the most because of the way they're spot welded in place. The interior is pretty poor, with the carpets and most of the door/side panels needing replacing. There is no hood or hood frame with the car, but I'm told there is one 'somewhere'. The car has been laid up indoors for the best part of 2 years, but was MOT'd and being used right up to the point when it was parked up. Mechanically... well, there's an engine under the bonnet and no pool of oil underneath, which is promising, but after that, I have no idea.
I've guessed a value at £3000 to £3500, but the owner thinks it's worth more (but i don't yet know how much more).
Can anyone tell me if they think I'm close/miles out etc etc??
Thanks in advance :)
Cheers,
Chris
I know this is a 'how long is a bit of string' question, but i need a ball park value for an MGB I'm looking to buy.
It's a 1966 roadster in old english white with knock on wires. It has a switch for an OD, so I'm guessing one is present. The body is generally very sound (from what I've seen so far... I'm getting it up on a ramp this weekend for a proper poke about), but the paint is scruffy, especially on the front wings which look like they've been replaced with new panels and so badly sprayed that the paint is peeling off revealing the black primer beneath. The other point of concern (so far) is some surface rust appearing through the paint on the beads that run along the front and rear wings. The rears worry me the most because of the way they're spot welded in place. The interior is pretty poor, with the carpets and most of the door/side panels needing replacing. There is no hood or hood frame with the car, but I'm told there is one 'somewhere'. The car has been laid up indoors for the best part of 2 years, but was MOT'd and being used right up to the point when it was parked up. Mechanically... well, there's an engine under the bonnet and no pool of oil underneath, which is promising, but after that, I have no idea.
I've guessed a value at £3000 to £3500, but the owner thinks it's worth more (but i don't yet know how much more).
Can anyone tell me if they think I'm close/miles out etc etc??
Thanks in advance :)
Cheers,
Chris