Page 1 of 1
Bare Metal Respray Cost
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:33 pm
by Timmy Wainwright
Hi all,
I bet there’s a post somewhere about this, but thought I would put a fresh post up just encase. I am after advice in regards to a few points regarding a full bare metal respray on my 78 b. Firstly if possible, can anyone offer, from experience an idea of how much a bare metal respray would cost? I plan to take the paint off myself so would just in need of a fresh lick of paint.
Many thanks in advance.
Re: Bare Metal Respray Cost
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:06 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Timmy
As part of a reply to another thread (
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=3&t=224), I offered the following:
" A quality respray will cost anything up to £3,500 depending on where you live and assuming you provide them with a bare shell! You need to find someone that understands the look of the paint finish is important. Two Pack paint is most likely to be used and produces a finish that is too shiny for a 1960s car! It needs to be flatted then polished after spraying. Also it might be hard to find someone who will do a whole car as most sprayers are geared up for replacing and spraying accident damage for insurers."
I'll add here that by a 'bare shell' I was referring to providing a shell completely stripped of mechanical and trim rather than paint. In other words a starting point for re-assembly of a total restoration. If you leave parts on the car, you give the sprayers a big problem, and they will either mask the parts off which gives a poor finish as the can't spray into some areas properly or they will charge you for taking the parts off.
I would also add that stripping all the paint off a car is not a task to undertake lightly, and having done it the paint sprayers will spend hours getting the surface back to a spray ready state. I think if you did this you could be looking at a £5,000 job quite easily.
In your details on the right you don't provide your location. If you did you might be more lucky in getting a response from someone living close to you who has gone through a respray and can make a recommendation.
Re: Bare Metal Respray Cost
Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 pm
by Peter Cresswell
A good idea of the cost of a respray and what's involved can be had here:
http://www.thepaintshoppros.co.uk/hire- ... paint-car/