Page 1 of 1

'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:32 pm
by paul de-Ville
Despite currently having a Morgan, I have never lost my passion for MGs; particularly the B roadster of which I've had 3.
I am now considering getting a 'new' one built and so I pose that ever-compromising question: Who do I go to in order to get a truly superb job? (bet I don't get any answer)
When I have spoken of this to my friends, they tell me that my senility must be more advanced than they believed. I have to remind them that it's a very 'personal thing'; they don't see the relatively
popular and commonplace MGB as standing alongside the Morgan. In short, they have a notion of exclusivity without regard for driving pleasure and simplicity.
If I had more secure garage space......

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:51 pm
by Bernard Rengger
Hi Paul,
The start point must be a new Heritage Schell from British Motor Hetitage Tel 01993 707200 and then joining the MG Car Club and looking through the trade directory from then on it depends what you are looking for , if it is something really special possibly with a more modern engine and improved all round performance then you could try Front Line Developments Tel 01235 832632. It really depends on how much you are prepared to spend.
Best of luck

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 pm
by paul de-Ville
Hi Bernard, I am a member of MGCC and have been for a few years.
Yes, it has to start with a new Heritage shell. I simply want a superbly built and finished car without any 'bling'. I am not a purist so I am happy to mix features that I like regardless of year. For example:
I like wheels to be of the Dunlop steel pressed style, steering wheel like the original 3 spoke sprung wire type, door cards to be of the plainest type, standard black crackle instrument panel. It must have a B series engine tuned for utmost torque, etc, etc. and NO radios, sterios or aerials; let my music come from the engine!
This probably gives you some idea of my tastes.

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 pm
by John Watson
Paul - Where do you live?

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 am
by paul de-Ville
Hello John, I'm near Stafford in the village of Gnosall.

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:35 am
by Patrick Sellers
Hello Paul, My 1971 Roadster was restored on a new shell for the previous owner by Tamar Valley Motoring Centre in Cornwall. That was back in 1999. I have all the original receipts that totalled over £17K! The build quality is excellent - good panel gaps etc. Regards. Patrick

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:40 am
by paul de-Ville
Hi Patrick, thank you for the suggestion; oddly enough I looked at the car at Silverstone that was built by Tim Kelly in Cornwall for the BMH exhibition. May be something in the Cornish air!?
As a retired professional Engineer, (Aircraft systems design) and capable hands-on, I am not an easy chap to please and I've seen some pretty nasty 'bodges' by so called 'craftsmen'.
So, for now. it's 'hurry slowly'.

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:40 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Paul,
Are you free this evening?
If so why not come along to the MG CC Stone natter? We meet on the every first Monday of the month at the George and Dragon on the A34 just to the north of Stone. The PostCode is ST15 0PX. There you will meet many fellow MGB owners more than ready to give advice at very friendly meetings and activities.
The meeting is shared with the Mini Cooper Register and a lot of local classic car enthusiasts, and is collectively known as the Stone Classic Car Group. A group rather than a club as we don't have a membership fee, and any events we organise are costed to break even, so are excellent value.
Tonight we have a talk by Carole Nash Insurance about classic car insurance and how do you ensure you have the correct policy for your car and the use you put it to. 7.30 for 8.00pm start.
If you can't make it tonight send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you more details about the group.

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:11 pm
by paul de-Ville
Hello Peter, sounds like a good place to be; yes, think I know the pub - its at the jctn. of A34 and the Nantwich ? road.
My E-m add. is [email protected]
Unfortunately, I'll not be able to make it this evening, but meet up at the next one.

Paul de-Ville
Gnosall

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:52 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Paul,
I've sent you an email with information about the group.
Yes the George and Dragon is about where you think it is, but just before it just before the roundabout where the A51 to Nantwich splits from the A34 northbound. The pub doesn't have access from the A34 directly, but from a short parallel road (Meaford Road). Take a look on Google Earth by putting in the post code and you will see where it is.