Page 1 of 1

Tyres

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 am
by Graeme Forrester
I am just completing a restoration of a 73 B roadster with 5.5 in Minilite wheels. What are the suggestions for tyres?

Re: Tyres

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:04 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Are they genuine Minilites or Minator's? I have 5.5 x 14 in Minator's on my roadster with 185/70 x 14 Toyo TEO tyres. These are great, but the rear tyres rub on the wheel arches on both sides when cornering! Genuine Minilites use an offset that keeps the track narrower (required for racing to meet the rear track specification) and helps eliminate the problem. 175/70 x 14 tyres should prevent this happening as well.
I think the problem stems from using lower rear repair panels (below the chrome line). Heritage shells usually rub on one side only with 185/70 x 14 tyres and it varies from shell to shell!

Re: Tyres

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:09 am
by Graeme Forrester
Yes, they are Minators. On my FIA race car we eased the rear wing a bit as the car is lowered but runs Dunlop historic tyres. I am looking at 175s for this car.

Re: Tyres

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:53 am
by Patrick Sellers
I went for Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80/14. More than adequate for my B with its 'stock' engine. Much better feel and lighter low speed steering effort than the previously fitted 185s. Approx £100 per corner from My Tyres. After all, the B was originally equipped with 165 crossply tyres. Perhaps a narrower tyre will have reduced noise level and rolling resistance? Cheers. Patrick