Page 1 of 1
spot/fog lights
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 am
by Frank Wiseman
I have a very nice restored MGB Tourer - 1970. I do not want to carry out any major non original work - BUT - I have a fad for a couple of spot lights at the front, a fog at the back and to change the windscreen washer to electric.
I have no idea whether any of this was an original option and if so, is it possible to get original equipment. If not, how best I might approach this - bearing in mind switches.
I am sure many of you have gone through this topic. I would appreciate any advise/help to help me do the right thing.
I am new to the forum. Thanks.
Re: spot/fog lights
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:06 pm
by Barry Colgate
Hi Frank, Front Fog Lamps (BHA 4399) and Long Range Driving Lamps (57H 5322) are listed as options in the February 1977 parts manual along with brackets (BHH 286 & 287) for mounting through the radiator grille. The line drawing appears to depict the rear mounted Lucas type. Further inspection also reveals a square rocker switch (BHA 5115) listed for the lamps with an appropriate sign on the rocker; a standard toggle switch (RTC 430) is also shown. Finally a cable is listed as 57H 5548, but with no illustration. Wiring diagrams show the Front Fog Lamp being wired off the main lighting switch and the Long Range Driving Lamp off the headlamp dip switch. No relays or additional fuses of course!
From the U.S. Drivers Handbook, the auxiliary lamp rocker switch is shown as the one to the furthest left in the central console, so nearest the driver. Interestingly the accompanying text reveals one of each type of lamp is wired to the single switch, so it is clearly a 3 position switch. Looking at the parts illustration this appears to be the case, but the toggle switch is shown as a single position type.
You also ask about rear fog lamps and electric washers, which were all available in different markets. Crawling over parts manuals and wiring diagrams should reveal the necessary components.
Whilst it is easy for me quote part numbers, finding specific items is probably nigh on impossible after all these years, but good luck anyway.
All the best,
Barry C
Re: spot/fog lights
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am
by Nick Parrans-Smith
Hi Frank, I'm sure others may have a better idea, but I've got a set of Cibie Oscars that I connect up to the main beam switch via a relay. Works really well during the winter and I tend to remove them over the summer or when competing. Hope useful and Happy New Year.
Re: spot/fog lights
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Frank
I agree with Nick that Cibie lights are very good, but the problem with the Oscar and more so with the Super Oscar is the depth of the light means they protrude quite a long way beyond the bumper (and much worse if you run without bumper as does Nick and myself) and become liable to parking damage if some reverses too close to your car. The Oscar Sport + is much slimmer and has a dual beam giving long range and spread whereas the 'ordinary' Oscar is either long range, Drive (a spread beam) or fog. These are really rally lamps and are quite heavy, so the mounting brackets have to be sturdy and quite often you need to use steady bars to stop them vibrating - which is very distracting when driving at night. Also Cibie lights are very expensive these days!
As Nick mentions it is sensible to wire them via a relay and so they extinguish when you dip the headlights. The stalk dip switch is a bit marginal when using 60/55W headlights (the standard was 55/50W) so putting the extra electrical load through them leads to early failure.
The period light for the Chrome bumper cars is really the Lucas SPF 700 light which is commonly available from some of the specialist suppliers of classic parts, but they are only available as a long range spot light (very much a pencil beam) or a fog light. Neither is much good for general driving! The BMC Works Rally cars used these lights with a headlight unit fitted and a single filament bulb to supplement two Long Range versions. These work quite well but cover the front of the car with lights! Better is a pair of more modern lights to supplement the headlights, and I have just bought a pair of Lucas 20-20 drive lights for my car to replace the long range SPF 700 lights I currently use but don't like the beam pattern! The 20-20s also have a compound reflector that allows them to outperform the Cibie Oscar for the same size lens. They are quite rare though - I've been searching for 6 years for a good pair!
There seems to be problem uploading pictures to the forum at present so I'll post some pictures when that is fixed.
Re: spot/fog lights
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:54 pm
by Nick Parrans-Smith
Pete, I like the sound of your 20-20 Drive Lights; might have to investigate! :-)
Re: spot/fog lights
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:23 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Nick
I have fancied a pair of Lucas 20-20 lights for years as they are likely to be so much better than the 700 series lights (the SPF series) used in the 1960s. I got the idea of fitting them to an MGB from Gerry Brown who has a pair of 'drive' 20-20s on his FIA race/rally MGB. See here:
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... enge#p1158
Gerry has them mounted quite low and wide on brackets bolted to the valance. I've used cut down bumper irons with a bracket on my car for the SPF 700's and will adapt these for the 20-20s.