Page 1 of 1
MGB Price List from 1966
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:45 pm
by Keith Wynn
Hello and first-off, Happy New Year to you all.
I am putting together a website story of my 1966 MGB Chassis No. G-HN3/87255 registration OPP 199D, and one of the things I would like to mention but cannot find anywhere is - what was the list price of a new MGB in 1966.
I seem to recall just over £1000 with Car Tax, but I could be way off.
And whilst writing, if anyone in the Forum recalls this car, originally OEW, then Red, then BRG and now OEW again I would be very pleased to hear from you,
Many thanks and cheers, Keith Wynn
Re: MGB Price List from 1966
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:25 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Keith
...and a happy New Year to you too!
I have two articles that might help. One is in a book of MGB road tests (MGB Roadsters 1962 - 1980 published by Brooklands Books; ISBN 1-869826-10-8) and that contains a test of the then new MGB with 5 bearing engine and 3 synchro box. This gives the price as £747 plus taxes and a total of £919. The article is just dated 1967.
The second is in a copy of Autocar, dated 3 September 1965 in the recommended new car price list, it gives the MGB as £707 plus taxes, a total of £855. So I would think around £890 would be a ball park figure for a 1966 price.
If you see a copy of this issue of Autocar, then buy it for just 2 superb articles - full road tests of the Le Mans MGB DRX 255C and the Tulip Rally Healey 3000 DRX 258C. Both are full road tests (as Autocar and Motor did in those days) including performance figures and fuel consumption, plus a description of all the modifications. The MGB finished 11th overall and 2nd in the up to 2000cc class, the Healey won its class in the Tulip Rally in the hands of the Morley twins.
Re: MGB Price List from 1966
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 am
by Keith Wynn
Thank you Peter, that is really useful, somewhat under £1000 would appear to be about right, £885 in 1965 and £919 in 1967. I will look out for these two publications on eBay they both sound worth having. I will also continue to look on there for a 1966 MGB price list, just about every make imaginable is available except MGB! It would be nice to be able to put the image on my website.
Thanks again, Keith
Re: MGB Price List from 1966
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am
by George Wilder
Tried several times but given up to load up a price list from the Sunday Times Manual on the MGB published in 67 and reprinted in 71
The forum still refuses to accept PDF files
When uploading a Jpeg file it loads then blanks out any message and does not load the attachment
Give up!
Re: MGB Price List from 1966
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 pm
by David Shannon
[attachment=0]Messsage.pdf[/attachment]
Hi everyone
It seems the software which runs the forum deliberately prevented PDF (and other) document types from being uploaded.
I have researched the settings and adjusted the constraint this evening.
You may now upload PDF documents.
Best wishes,
David.