Page 1 of 1

MGB shipping for an overseas touring holiday

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:46 pm
by Ian McKay
Hello everybody.

I am wondering if any members have any experience or advice they could share regarding shipping their cars overseas for a motoring holiday?

I am planning a trip to Queenstown, New Zealand around March next year, for about six weeks, taking my 'B' roadster. I have been invited by the MGCC in Auckland to attend a MG rally in Timaru, South Island in March, so that is the target date.

The idea is to ship the car by ocean freight to NZ, fly out there when it arrives, tour the South Island, and ship it home at the end.

Has anybody done anything like this? Are there any pitfalls I need to consider?

I am trying to avoid any unpleasant surprises.....I don't think there will be any VAT, licensing, or registration issues in NZ, but I do have the Car Club there checking this out for me. I am expecting to have to take out a new insurance policy for the trip....Peter Best Insurance only cover for UK and EU driving.

Thanks in advance....

Re: MGB shipping for an overseas touring holiday

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:45 am
by David M B Leggeat
Ian,
At the MGC50 event in June there was an MGC there that the owner had shipped from New Zealand, for the event.
The MGC register may have his contact details, or MGCC New Zealand may know him.

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mgc-register/contacts/

Regards,
David.

Re: MGB shipping for an overseas touring holiday

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:58 pm
by Ian McKay
Thanks David, I will follow your lead up.

I have found a massive difference in the cost of shipping my car out to NZ compared with bringing it back. The return leg is about 70% more than the outbound.

The NZTA are insisting the car goes through their version of the MOT, it is called the WOF (Warrant of Fitness) before I can drive it, and the requirements for the Carnet de Passages (the car's 'passport') you just don't want to know about.

Re: MGB shipping for an overseas touring holiday

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 am
by Ian McKay
David,

I have found your man who brought his 'C' all the way from New Zealand to the UK to attend the 50th.

He is featured in this month's 'Safety Fast".

I will be hounding him for some advice.......