Batteries
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 am
Just before our very successful MGB Register weekend in Cornwall the batteries failed on the GT. Discussion with John Watson produced the recommendation that I replace 2 x 6 volt with 1 x 12 volt - this is an excellent suggestion as 6 volt batteries are not easy to find these days.
However John suggested I buy a type 063 12 volt battery so I went to the local Halfords and bought a lovely VARTA type 063. It looked a bit large but I took it anyway, trusting John's advice.
I can tell you now, a type 063 will not fit the battery box on a 1974 BGT - it was an inch too wide so I took it back to Halfords along with the old 6 volt battery as a sample. The base dimensions are critical because the battery box will not accept anything bigger than 6" square. John did say that the trick was to cut the lower lugs off the sides of the 063 but that would (a) still leave it slightly too big and (b) invalidate the warranty.
At Halfords we went along the battery shelves until we found a 12 volt unit with the same base dimensions as the 6 volt one. That battery is a Halfords
BATTERY-B HB202. It is slightly lower in height than the 6 volt battery but still tall enough for the battery holding down clamp to be used and it drops straight into the battery box without any modifications at all.
Because the terminals are positioned differently on the top (6 cells instead of 3) you may need another earth strap - and I discovered there is already a hole drilled in the bodywork to accept a 1/4" bolt in exactly the right place if, as I did, you install behind the driver's seat rather than behind the passenger's.
Does it work? YES it performs brilliantly but I am still getting over the backache of reaching in through the driver's door to make the change!
However John suggested I buy a type 063 12 volt battery so I went to the local Halfords and bought a lovely VARTA type 063. It looked a bit large but I took it anyway, trusting John's advice.
I can tell you now, a type 063 will not fit the battery box on a 1974 BGT - it was an inch too wide so I took it back to Halfords along with the old 6 volt battery as a sample. The base dimensions are critical because the battery box will not accept anything bigger than 6" square. John did say that the trick was to cut the lower lugs off the sides of the 063 but that would (a) still leave it slightly too big and (b) invalidate the warranty.
At Halfords we went along the battery shelves until we found a 12 volt unit with the same base dimensions as the 6 volt one. That battery is a Halfords
BATTERY-B HB202. It is slightly lower in height than the 6 volt battery but still tall enough for the battery holding down clamp to be used and it drops straight into the battery box without any modifications at all.
Because the terminals are positioned differently on the top (6 cells instead of 3) you may need another earth strap - and I discovered there is already a hole drilled in the bodywork to accept a 1/4" bolt in exactly the right place if, as I did, you install behind the driver's seat rather than behind the passenger's.
Does it work? YES it performs brilliantly but I am still getting over the backache of reaching in through the driver's door to make the change!