Page 1 of 1

Cold Starting

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm
by Stuart Adams
Hi, I'm still on my steep 'B' learning curve of my '62 Roadster. I will be looking to have the engine tuned in the New Year, but meanwhile the car is reluctant to start from cold. I am using choke and so as not to flood, not using the throttle when turning over, but from cold it takes a good 5/10 minutes to come to life. Once started it runs very sweetly with no mis fire etc. Also once warmed up the car starts on the button.
Does anyone have any advice please?
Many thanks
Stuart

Re: Cold Starting

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:01 pm
by George Wilder
Stuart
Something is horribly amiss here.

I started my 65 B yesterday, (-0.4C outside but the car was in the garage), it had not been run for week but started after the 3rd revolution of the engine. No ICE engine should need 5 to 10 minutes turning over to start.

I would check that there is a spark at the plugs
check fuel is getting to the engine - is the pump ticking?
check the choke operation - is it really working and moving the jets

Further info on all the above should be in the Workshop Manual or Haynes

Good luck

Re: Cold Starting

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:32 pm
by Stuart Adams
Hi George, thanks so much for replying, that's what I was afraid of, I'll took a look and let you know!
Many thanks
Stuart

Re: Cold Starting

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:53 pm
by Stuart Adams
Hi George, I have tweaked the choke as in the manual and I don't think the jets were opening as they should - I have just started from cold and it was virtually on the button, so thanks for your help.
Stuart