Replacement Tyres

Technical MGB discussion
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Replacement Tyres

Post by Charles Farran » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Guys,

I am looking to replace (staying with the same profile) my Goodyear Eagle NCT 185/70 88H tyres shod on Minator 14J wheels. I bought these on a wheel & tyre deal from Brown & Gammon on a Silverstone weekend some years ago & am looking to replace the tyres purely due to their age as there is plenty of tread left. When i changed to these from RO -Styles shod with orig profile i was amazed by the improvement in overall handling of my otherwise (apart from upgraded brakes) standard performance RB roadster.
I am aware that tyres produced more recently ,whether made by the same manufacturer or not, do not exhibit the same characteristics with the side walls being more flexible etc.etc as a consequence of having to meet changing regulations. (There have been various articles on this issue in the MGOC magazine in the last couple of years - indeed one of the writers had the same Goodyear tyres as me).
The current tyres give very predictable & stable handling both on fast corners & in a straight line. I would say i am a spirited driver following the maxim of "safety fast". I would not be using these for track days.
My mileage is not more than 2000 per annum & tend to only use the car on the road from Spring through to late Autumn so a winter tyre is not required!
I would be interested to hear any views & recommendations having posted a similar thread on the BBS site.

Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Replacement Tyres

Post by Peter Cresswell » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi Charles
I use Toyo Nanoenergy in 185/70 x 14 on my MGB. They grip well even on a track with progressive characteristics and wear well. I'm impressed with them to replace them with the same. Around £56 each.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

I think i am getting close to a choice of either Toyo or Kumho now ! (Brown & Gammon at Stoneleigh spares day liked the Toyo (Possibly as at the time the rep told me they had had a big order in))!

Having spent a day last week (as part of my Spring clean & underbody inspection including diff oil replacement & gear box oil top up) I removed all 4 wheels & cleaned rims on both sides & inspected the current tyres closely. I have to say on the face of it the rubber looks in good order with no evidence of cracking/delamination ,but i am very conscious that just because they look OK, it doesn't mean that the rubber hasn't in fact aged!

Cheers

Charles
1980 Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Charles
Have you dated the tyres you have? See here for how to do it - https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age .
Once 10 years old tyres are now considered to need changing whatever the tread depth and other outward signs.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965