Page 1 of 1

Problem with Carbs

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:12 pm
by James Atkins
I am having problems with the carbs on my MGB, they keep flooding and I can't get the engine to run properly - I will have to take it to a garage to sort out, the nearest to me is Summit MG in Maidenhead - has anyone used Summit before, and if so would you recommend them?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:55 pm
by John Watson
Summit are good, talk to Mike or Gary

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:32 pm
by James Atkins
Thanks John, I have been today to see the guys at Summit MG and they are going to sort it all out for me on Wednesday, and will only take a day so hopefully be able to take her to one of the New Year shows.

Jim

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 pm
by James Atkins
Just to let you all know the boys at summit mg have done a great job sorting out my carbs.
And she is running just great, these guys are 100%

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:58 am
by Dave Linkson
What did they do then Jim? Put in new float valves? Cleanup? If new valves, did they renew with standard or use grose valves? Thanks...

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:56 pm
by James Atkins
This is what is the description of the work done from my invoice:

"Stripped and removed float bowls, replace needle valve kits and floats with uprated type and new float pins, replace needle with correct richer type to suit K&N filters, adjusted jets and balance carbs".

I don't know what type of new valves were put in! sorry.

The reason I was having problems with it running rich was that when whoever put the K&N filters on, they should have changed the float needles to the richer type.

Jim

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 am
by Dave Linkson
I also have K&Ns but with standard AAU needles and runs fine, my RR tuner told me richer needles are not nessacary unless top end performance is required..it runs fine at the legal limit..
Do you have a modified engine Jim? I'm just curious as to why one engine needs the richer needles and the other doesn't.. Cheers

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 pm
by James Atkins
Sorry for the delay in replying! - No I don't have a modified engine - sorry but I have no idea why one engine would need the richer needles, whilst another doesn't - I was told the richer needles were needed due to the modern fuels now used - mine runs on unleaded.

In the end I also had to have the new "black" floats and carburettor tops, and fuel regulator, which now seems to have lost solved the problems!

Jim

Re: Problem with Carbs

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:39 am
by Dave Linkson
Thought they all ran on unleaded now, I also have the latest plastic floats fitted, but they are brown.
What do you mean by carb tops? Suction chambers or float chamber lids?
A fuel regulator isn't needed if using a standard SU fuel pump..