Page 1 of 2

Hidden Music Source

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am
by Ruabon Red
Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone has experience of providing music in their MGB from a concealed source?

I like the look of the early dash with the blanking plate and would like to retain this. I have an old removable radio/cassette, so one though I had was seeing if there's a way of hinging or attaching the blanking plate to the sleeve that remains when the unit is removed.

Alternatively there's the bluetooth speaker option - hidden behind the tunnel speaker housing perhaps?

Any advice/suitable installations gratefully received!

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi David
I haven't responded earlier just in case someone else has done this, but I think you are on your own with this mod! I can't think of any supplier who might be able to help you with advice or parts to do the job, other than perhaps a bespoke in car audio specialist.
It will be a case of trail and error to get what you want, and your level of craftsmanship may be the make or break part of the end result.
I think there is nothing wrong with an MGB soundtrack 'au natural' lots of tappet tappings, induction roar, throaty exhaust, wind whistles and drumming panels - almost a whole orchestra! what more could you want.

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am
by Ruabon Red
Thanks for replying Peter, much appreciated

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 pm
by Grumpy2
David, I see you're in wrexham, I'm in Hope

I've fitted a concealed system in my GT. Theres an amp and sub in the boot under the board by the spare wheel. two six inch speakers in the rear quarters, all driven by an iPod hidden in the tunnel.

Works pretty well, the iPod holds charge for ages and the amp is switched on and off with spare dash switch.

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 pm
by Ruabon Red
Thanks Gary,

Good to know others have had similar thoughts - must be a North Wales thing!

My car was fitted with speakers in the rear quarters when I bought it, so I think I'll leave them in place and install an amp behind the tunnel speaker housing with an iPod connection in the glove box. That's the theory anyway, may just need to discuss the practicalities with my local auto electrician.

You're only 15 minutes from me - I'm in Pentre Bychan, just a mile or so from the Welsh MG Centre

I'm newly back to MG ownership after a gap of over 25 years and enjoying re-acquainting myself with the B. I've not attended any events or met any fellow enthusiasts this time, but am looking forward to my first organised group run on 12th May from Holt.

Dave

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 pm
by Grumpy2
I'm away for a few days but maybe we can have a chin wag when I get back.

Having built 2 V8s, done a couple of full restorations and owned 8 MGBs ( plus several other classics) I've some experience (not claiming to be an expert though - dangerous territory).

Don't really do much with MGOC folk but the bunch I hang out with are very active all year round and are a very eclectic group.

Cheers

Gary

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:27 pm
by NevNev
Hi, I have fitted a bluetooth reciever in one of my other vehicles, which sits behind a panel in the dash, and connects to the already fitted speakers. You need a suitable phone with either a radio app, or music stored on it to be able to play anything though. I also have a hidden switch to isolate it when not in use.
I got it from VWP I think.

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 pm
by Ruabon Red
Thanks Neville,

That sounds exactly what I'm after - do you have a link to the unit you fitted?

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 pm
by NevNev
This is the unit I have:

Caliber Audio Technology CA75.2BT 2-Channel headstage 75 W


Vehicle Wiring Products don't seem to have it listed, but a quick look finds it here:

https://www.sotel.de/en/Audio-Mp3-Car-HiFi/Car-HiFi/Autoamplifier/Caliber-CA75-2BT-2channels-50W-car-audio-amplifier.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9WN-LGP4gIVArDtCh1wQA03EAUYASABEgLgTfD_BwE&cur=1

And here:

https://www.conrad.com/p/caliber-audio-technology-ca752bt-2-channel-headstage-75-w-1718979?WT.srch=1WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=google_search_EN&scamp=&saddg=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9WN-LGP4gIVArDtCh1wQA03EAUYAyABEgLnu_D_BwE

Re: Hidden Music Source

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:28 pm
by ChargedAutoGT
Slightly off-topic, but i think will be of interest to both Ruabon & Peter.

Not far from you is a hill by the name of Bwlch-y-Groes. Just outside of Bala.

Quite stunning scenery, but I also heard (in fact it was on a TV program recently) that it was used as a hillclimb proving track in the development of the MGB.

maybe a nice day out for you.

G