Blucky
Forename: John
Surname: Treck

New Member Question On Tyres

Post by Blucky » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi Guys

New Member requiring advice on Tyres and other things

Long Story Short

Barn Find 'T' Reg MGB Roadster 1979 (40 Years Old) Potentially MOT Exempt and Tax Exempt does anyone know?

Dry Stored for 20 years and has not been on the road or even Started for 20 years

The Good News: She totally rust free and unrestored

The Bad News: The Fuel Pump isn't working so I ordered a new set of Fuel Pump Points just to see if I can get her started before I buy a New Fuel Pump

More Bad News: All the Tyres are Shot and will need replacing, which is my Main Question at the moment What Size Tyres do I need?

The ones on there at the moment are 165 X 14 but would it be better to fit a bigger size like 185 X 14

The Wheels are the Rostyle Type

Apart from that She seems ok but I'll have to wait for the Fuel Pump points before I try and Start Her

Also can I post Photos on here?
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Re: New Member Question On Tyres

Post by Paul Scott » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Welcome John,
Pictures no problem.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi John, welcome to MGB ownership.
To take your questions as the come:
Barn Find 'T' Reg MGB Roadster 1979 (40 Years Old) Potentially MOT Exempt and Tax Exempt does anyone know?

Tax exemption is uses the build date if you know it, and a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum will give you that, otherwise it is from the date of first registration which is given in your V5C. I think the exemption starts on the next April 1st so if the car was built between April 1st 1978 and March 31st 1979 it is tax exempt from now. If it was built between April 1st 1979 and the end of 1979 then I think you have to wait until next year.
The MOT exemption uses the date of the first registration and starts immediately, but most people only invoke this at the next renewal of road tax (VED)
Different Government departments so different rules!!!
There has been plenty written here about both subjects, so search under 'General' for them.

Dry Stored for 20 years and has not been on the road or even Started for 20 years

The Good News: She totally rust free and unrestored -Great news but do check very carefully as rust hides itself well. Later cars like yours were better rust treated in the factory than early cars.

The Bad News: The Fuel Pump isn't working so I ordered a new set of Fuel Pump Points just to see if I can get her started before I buy a New Fuel Pump
Good idea, but since the car has been stored for 20 years I suggest you replace all the flexible fuel hoses and check the steel pipe from the back of the car to the front bulkhead as these rust from the inside out. It won't have been subjected to the ravages of ethanol based fuels but once it is up and running have a plan to make all the fuel system ethanol proof. Your new pump will be ok when you buy it.

More Bad News: All the Tyres are Shot and will need replacing, which is my Main Question at the moment What Size Tyres do I need?
The ones on there at the moment are 165 X 14 but would it be better to fit a bigger size like 185 X 14
Stick with 165 x 14 as the 185 x 14 will have sidewalls that are too high spoiling the look of the car aesthetically and will make the gearing higher and the speedo will under read (which is a nuisance but also illegal). The 165 x 14 tyres will look right and will fit the Rostyles which have a 5in rim width nicely. If you go to alloy wheels eventually, these will have wider rims and 185/70 x 14 will fit them well but they might rub on the rear wheel arches when cornering. Some cars do it on the nearside only, others on the offside only and some like mine on both sides!
The Wheels are the Rostyle Type
These look good on a late MGB!

Apart from that She seems ok but I'll have to wait for the Fuel Pump points before I try and Start Her.
Let us know how this goes and you will get loads of help here to sort any problems.

Also can I post Photos on here?
Yes you can by using the attachments tab below the typing box when you are posting. It is a good idea to reduce the size to around 500kB - to 1mB first otherwise the picture might not upload.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965
Blucky

Post by Blucky » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:27 am

Hi Peter

Many Thanks

For a very encouraging and informative reply to a Newbie like me!

This MGB which I am now the proud owner of, has been sitting in this Garage for 20 years and still has the 00 Tax Sticker on the Windscreen!

The Garage She is in is very tiny and really only big enough for a 1960's type Mini, so I thought that taking the Fuel Pump off would be a major problem and as such could not help thinking that if they had extended the Fuel Pipes just another six inches they could have put the whole thing in the boot

Although in any event I managed to get it off in a couple of hours, which I thought was quite good considering the very limited access, where I also noticed that She had been undersealed from new, with only some minor surface rust around the cage for the batteries

All the Sills are original and no sign at all of any bubbles of rust, the paint looks almost perfect, although She is filthy dirty and covered in Cobwebs and assorted Crud, with the potential to be a real Bobby Dazzler! and She also has a Stainless Steel Exhaust and a Hard Top!

Together with a massive History File and only 4 previous owners, although I can't get near the Speedo as this Car is surrounded by Junk and so I have got to hang in there, till the Points for the SU Fuel Pump arrive at the end of next week

Not sure if I've got a bargain or not, as I don't even know if the Engine will turn over or if the Clutch is frozen and in case I forget to mention it, She also has overdrive and the Black Velour Interior looks almost perfect

Although what really got me sold on this Car, is that She is also in my favourite Colour which I think is called Brown Gold, which really seems to blend with the Black Rubber Bumpers

I also have the Build Date which says: Was Registered Overseas Declared Manufactured 1979

Date Of First Registration: 17-01-1984

Date Of First Registration In The UK: 17-01-1984

Does that give you any ideas as to MOT and Road Tax Exemption?

She is also RHD and hasn't been converted, maybe She came from Japan? nothing in the History File that gives any Clue but She is in such potentially nice condition, that I decided to take a chance and roll the dice

Thanks Again for your help

John
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am

Blucky, a vehicle becomes Historic on 1st April following the year it became 40 years old by virtue of the date of manufacture. A vehicle manufactured between 1/1/79 and 31/12/79 will be Historic on 1/4/20 and it's the registered keeper's duty to apply for it as it's not automatic.
As yours was not registered until 1984 you need to obtain a full Heritage Certificate and forward it to DVLA with the V5C so that they can change their records. Do it as soon as possible, not when you tax it. I forwarded a certificate in July 2017 for mine and the date of manufacture was changed so that when I went to tax it on 3/4/18 it was straightforward. You fill in the change of taxation class to Historic and take it to a main post office who will send the change to DVLA and issue a receipt for zero tax. Be mindful that not all Post Office staff are aware of the correct way to do it. I was lucky.
Incidentally no vehicle is tax exempt but tax free.
Best of luck.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Blucky

Post by Blucky » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 am

Hi Vic

Thanks for replying but after doing more research it says on the Gov Website Date of Manufacture or Date of Registration, which is a bit confusing with having Two options to choose from

Not only that but it seems that they expect you to Self Certificate this on form V112 where it seems you only need to put in the Year of Manufacture rather than the Month of manufacture

Which seems a potential Bear Trap to fall into

Although of course you are quite right a Heritage Certificate would remove all doubt but where would I get one?

Many Thanks

John
Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Post by Dave Wheatley » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 am

If I can just chip in here to say that I have had tremendous help on here since I got my car last September.

The comment about Post Offices, and whether or not they they know to deal with taxation class changes is very pertinent. I have had a bit of trouble with the Dvla after my Post Office made a coockup with my application on 1st April. Finished up having to tax the car twice (no cost though).

Good luck with the restoration.

D.
1978 MGB GT
1931 Austin 7 RM
1955 Standard 10
No modern!
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:19 am

Morning John.
Heritage Certificates are available from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust at Gaydon.
I rang DVLA last month when the reminders to tax my vehicles arrived and was told that neither will need an MOT unless they have been extensively modified which neither have. The Land Rover has a later 2.5 litre petrol engine from a C prefix Land Rover and because it's a Land Rover engine it's not classed as extensively modified.
Fitting a Rover V8 to an MGB is also not an extensive modification as these engines were fitted but a Ford or any other spurious make of engine is. My BGT has its original engine but with a Stage 2 head and HS6 carburettors but it's not deemed extensively modified.
If your car is able to be taxed as Historic then an MOT isn't necessary.
I'm having both of mine inspected thoroughly by an MOT tester that does the jobs on them that I can't or don't want to do.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Blucky

Post by Blucky » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi Dave

These Quango departments are all the same, all I can go by is what is written on the V11 no mention of Month of Manufacture as all it says is the Year! if I declare her as 40 years old going by the Year of Manufacture

Then that could be either right or wrong, as most annoyingly this information is supplied on their own form the V11

The one thing I'm most concerned about is that if the worst happens, then I may not be Insured through no fault of my own and in the event that might happen then they would almost certainly throw the book at you or rather me!

Hi Vic

Looks like I'm going to have to get a Heritage Certificate just to show due diligence and be sure but as for the restoration, this could be a very easy one providing She Starts and everything works etc

She was from an estate sale and all they really wanted was to get her out of the way

She is a potential Cream Puff! although She isn't Concourse as the only thing I really want is a nice MGB and this one has so much potential that I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out

Thank you both and I agree, this is a really great Forum
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:29 pm

John, DVLA definitely take the date of manufacture to decide Historic status.
My BGT was manufactured October 1977 but registered February 1978 but it became eligible on 1/4/18 because of the manufacturing date.
There was a rumour that it would be the date of registration but it never happened so it's still the date of manufacture.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT