throttle linkage
Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm
The throttle action on my BGT is very aggressive at the bottom end of the range (ie idling and up a little).
Unless you are really * footed it is all too easy to have the throttle snap open (or shut) like a switch causing very loud clonks from the poor old back axle.
Now this is where I am likely to be quite wrong in my assumptions and my attempts to correct the problem.
First let me say that everything is very well lubricated and there is no trace of snagging with the cable which operates very smoothly, as does the foot pedal.
On looking at the linkage at the carburettor end I have noticed that the lever to which the cable is attached has what would appear to be a "stop" underneath which rests on the choke control rod at the closed throttle position. In this position the angle between the cable and the lever is extremely acute - not conducive to good operation I would think as the leverage is wrong.
To correct this and bring the cable much closer to an included angle of 90 degrees with the lever I have slackened off the cross shaft pinch bolts and raised the lever, adjusting the cable to take up the slack. This means that the "stop" underneath now no longer rests on the choke control rod.
Both throttle butterflies still return to their stops as they should and the arms on the lever connected to the cable both engage in the forks which operate the butterflies but I have taken care to ensure that there is slight clearance both above and below in the forks and that there is free end float for the lever. Both throttle butterflies would appear to open together.
I have tried this set up on a short road run but have not noticed any significant difference- probably because I am so used to * footing the throttle that I cannot tell if there is an improvement.
Thing is, can anyone tell me whether I have done the right thing and if not tell me what I ought to do?
There is a human side effect - I have aggravated the painful backache, gained from the recent battery installation, as a result of leaning into the engine bay - even though I put plenty of blankets over the radiator area to lean on. Motorcycles on a work bench are SO much more easy to work on!
Unless you are really * footed it is all too easy to have the throttle snap open (or shut) like a switch causing very loud clonks from the poor old back axle.
Now this is where I am likely to be quite wrong in my assumptions and my attempts to correct the problem.
First let me say that everything is very well lubricated and there is no trace of snagging with the cable which operates very smoothly, as does the foot pedal.
On looking at the linkage at the carburettor end I have noticed that the lever to which the cable is attached has what would appear to be a "stop" underneath which rests on the choke control rod at the closed throttle position. In this position the angle between the cable and the lever is extremely acute - not conducive to good operation I would think as the leverage is wrong.
To correct this and bring the cable much closer to an included angle of 90 degrees with the lever I have slackened off the cross shaft pinch bolts and raised the lever, adjusting the cable to take up the slack. This means that the "stop" underneath now no longer rests on the choke control rod.
Both throttle butterflies still return to their stops as they should and the arms on the lever connected to the cable both engage in the forks which operate the butterflies but I have taken care to ensure that there is slight clearance both above and below in the forks and that there is free end float for the lever. Both throttle butterflies would appear to open together.
I have tried this set up on a short road run but have not noticed any significant difference- probably because I am so used to * footing the throttle that I cannot tell if there is an improvement.
Thing is, can anyone tell me whether I have done the right thing and if not tell me what I ought to do?
There is a human side effect - I have aggravated the painful backache, gained from the recent battery installation, as a result of leaning into the engine bay - even though I put plenty of blankets over the radiator area to lean on. Motorcycles on a work bench are SO much more easy to work on!