Heritage shell rebuild - looking for advice and experience
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 pm
Hello. Although I’ve been in the MGCC for several years and used to use the old forum quite a bit, this is my first post to the B Register site.
I was hoping I could pick the collective brain about my rebuild project.
I bought my 1968 BGT about 16 years ago and drove it frequently before the increasing amount of rust, blue smoke and an increasing death rattle forced it off the road in 2008. Following a house move and construction of a dedicated garage, I started stripping the car with the intention of a full restoration. A year later, we took the view that the rust was so extensive that, once all the rot had been removed and new panels welded, there would be nothing left bar the roof (along with doubts about the strength and squareness of Trigger’s Broom). I took a deep breath and ordered a new shell from BMH. I started to paint it up and had the underside, engine bay and interior well on the way, but the inevitable project killer came along three years later. As he is now 6 years old, I’m looking to get moving again.
As my time is now far more limited and precious, I am going to get the painting done professionally. Can I please draw on any experience to test the sequence I’ve come up with:
1. The shell has been taken back to bare metal and primed. It is currently mounted on a chassis tilter.
2. Trial fit key mechanical items to check the BMH shell is correct: front cross-member & suspension, steering rack & column, rear springs and axle, headlights bowls (as advised by someone at MG Live last year). Anything else – I assume engine and gearbox would be over doing it?
3. Get the underside, interior and engine bay fully painted
4. Build up to a rolling chassis, initially taking advantage of the chassis tilter to fit brake / fuel lines etc on the underside.
5. Send rolling chassis away for final prep, panel fitting and final painting (to include wings, doors etc).
6. Start putting things back on whilst the engine is away for rebuild.
7. Put it all back together!
Does this seem logical?
One thing I have been unable to get clear in my head is the best way to incorporate fitting the front wings. I am very keen to make sure that the seams between the top edge and the scuttle, with the intervening beaded strip, are the best they can be and well coated / sealed.
Thanks,
Duncan
I was hoping I could pick the collective brain about my rebuild project.
I bought my 1968 BGT about 16 years ago and drove it frequently before the increasing amount of rust, blue smoke and an increasing death rattle forced it off the road in 2008. Following a house move and construction of a dedicated garage, I started stripping the car with the intention of a full restoration. A year later, we took the view that the rust was so extensive that, once all the rot had been removed and new panels welded, there would be nothing left bar the roof (along with doubts about the strength and squareness of Trigger’s Broom). I took a deep breath and ordered a new shell from BMH. I started to paint it up and had the underside, engine bay and interior well on the way, but the inevitable project killer came along three years later. As he is now 6 years old, I’m looking to get moving again.
As my time is now far more limited and precious, I am going to get the painting done professionally. Can I please draw on any experience to test the sequence I’ve come up with:
1. The shell has been taken back to bare metal and primed. It is currently mounted on a chassis tilter.
2. Trial fit key mechanical items to check the BMH shell is correct: front cross-member & suspension, steering rack & column, rear springs and axle, headlights bowls (as advised by someone at MG Live last year). Anything else – I assume engine and gearbox would be over doing it?
3. Get the underside, interior and engine bay fully painted
4. Build up to a rolling chassis, initially taking advantage of the chassis tilter to fit brake / fuel lines etc on the underside.
5. Send rolling chassis away for final prep, panel fitting and final painting (to include wings, doors etc).
6. Start putting things back on whilst the engine is away for rebuild.
7. Put it all back together!
Does this seem logical?
One thing I have been unable to get clear in my head is the best way to incorporate fitting the front wings. I am very keen to make sure that the seams between the top edge and the scuttle, with the intervening beaded strip, are the best they can be and well coated / sealed.
Thanks,
Duncan