FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT

General MGB discussion
hazeldrive
Forename: Martin
Surname: Edmunds

FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT

Post by hazeldrive » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm

I have a 1964 MG B with a Smiths fuel gauge. I am looking for the tank sender unit BHA4471 (and complete set of seals). Does anyone know where I could find one? - Many thanks Martin Edmunds
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT

Post by Peter Cresswell » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Martin
Brown and Gammons list it at £57.96 + P&P. See https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mgb-m ... ou-bha4471
It is the one that fits the tank held in place by straps running from the front of the tank, underneath to the back, and is fitted with 6 screws. The gasket is listed separately as part 2H1082.
You will need to check that the gasket is ethanol compliant. If not order a viton one.

You should also check the state of all the fuel lines (including the steel ones) and age of the pump. Anything over 5 years old may not be ethanol compliant. Any pipes, hoses seal bought today should be but check before buying.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965
hazeldrive
Forename: Martin
Surname: Edmunds

Re: FUEL TANK SENDER UNIT

Post by hazeldrive » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:47 pm

Many thanks for the VERY helpful reply. I had contacted Brown & Gammon and they told me this: "Unfortunately these are not currently available, we can get your unit refurbished, but looking around 10 to 12 weeks turn around, we would need to send off to get a quote on the cost.sorry for any inconvenience."

I have put myself on their waiting list for one. However, I have found a couple of used ones that MIGHT work !!

The info re seals etc is very useful. Fortunately I have new fuel lines and a one-year-old electronic pump, rather than the old mechanical one which let me down after 40 years!! (It went against the grain to not keep the car totally original)