Webasto sunroof

General MGB discussion
mikeyb1
Forename: Michael
Surname: Bambridge

Webasto sunroof

Post by mikeyb1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello folks, I've just started to look for another GT, having owned one way back in the early '70s. That one had a Webasto sliding roof which I seem to remember was quite a boon in hot weather. However, one's memories can play tricks on you, so I would like members thoughts on these roofs. What concerns me is wind noise, open and closed, and weather proofness. Comments please. Thanks a lot, regards, Mike. P.S. anyone want to buy my TR4?
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: Webasto sunroof

Post by Vic Butler » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm

I can't speak for MG's but back in the 1970's I owned an Austin 1800 which had a full length Webasto and I don't recall any wind noise problems.
On page 32 of the August edition of a rival club publication (Enjoying MG!) there is an article on Webastos which are now being manufactured by the Trimming Centre in Lewes, East Sussex.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Chris Bound
Forename: Chris
Surname: Bound

Re: Webasto sunroof

Post by Chris Bound » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:01 pm

My 1977 BGT (soon to become a V8, but that's another story!) has a Webasto sun-roof and I'm very pleased with it. I believe that it is an original factory or dealer fitted item.
After 42 years, it works well and it's certainly not showing any signs of letting in water. Wind noise is non-existent when it's closed and not an issue with the Perspex wind deflector in place when it's open.
When it's closed, you're unaware of it and when it's open, it's almost like having a roadster! In many ways, the best of both worlds.
As it happens there's a similar thread on the V8 Register at the moment about availability of spares and mention is made of the Trimming Centre in Lewes which Vic has mentioned.
Given the option of a decent car with a sub-roof, I wouldn't hesitate to go for one.