Page 1 of 1
Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:07 pm
by Philip Tibbitts
Has anyone installed one of the "upgraded" roller bearing clutch thrust bearings, replacing the OE carbon one?
Are they good to use, or do they cause quicker thrust bearing failure?
Moss have been selling them for some time - so how did they get over the non-concentricity running of the bearing surface due to the arc caused by the actuating arm, with induced premature failure ?
Re: Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:16 pm
by Ian F
Philip, I think you have identified what is generally considered to be the main problem with the roller bearing design. For my part, I decided to stick with the original design of carbon bearing - always worked perfectly for me so I didn't see any need for an"upgrade".
I may be a bit resistant to change, but it seems to me that the majority of the "upgrades" offered are principally designed to extract funds from our pockets!
Ian F
Re: Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 pm
by Vic Butler
I've heard that there are misalignment problems with these roller bearing thrust bearings. It seems a good idea but like all good ideas there's always a downside. Stick to the good old carbon thrust bearings, they've been used for decades. If the roller bearing one was better maybe it would have been factory fitted.
I agree with Ian. It's a gimmick to make you part with your money.
Re: Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:44 pm
by Paul Heffernan
Re: Clutch thrust bearing "upgrade"
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:21 pm
by Peter Cresswell
I considered using the roller bearing type when I fitted a new clutch during the engine rebuild, but decided against it on cost as the carbon type came with the AP kit, and I had never had a problem with the carbon type on any car in the past. The problems highlighted above and in the YouTube video set me thinking, as Fords I have had used the roller type. In this case though the carrier is pivoted on one side of the bell housing and has a hole for the input shaft to the gearbox to pass through. The carrier then go through a cutout in the side of the bellhousing for the cable to connect to. The movement then is much less of an arc than the MGB has and the bearing pivots top and bottom so the bearing meets the clutch cover assembly square on. Ford also developed a self centering release bearing.