Tyre Choice

Technical MGB discussion
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Tyre Choice

Post by Tom Brearley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 pm

My GT is back on the road (following an accident and respray) but the tyres are 10 years old and have some scoring from the crash. New tyres are required. Can I pick the collective Forum mind?

I'm not too price-sensitive (having thrown so much money at the car in the past few years I've lost count) and am looking to use it as a daily driver with some spirited driving along interesting twisty roads.

My old tyres are Uniroyal Rallyes but I found them disappointingly soft. I'd like to stick with 165/80 size.

Any recommendations?
1973 MGB GT (currently shaking down after 3 years off the road)
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Tyre Choice

Post by Peter Cresswell » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi Tom
The use of 80 and 70 profile tyres is getting rarer, so fewer tyre manufacturers are making them and they are getting more expensive. However Brown and Gammons currently have an offer on Toyo 165/80 R14T TL330 tyres for £71.95 each. This price will be plus fitting etc. I can recommend Toyos as I have used them on several cars including on my B Roadster.
The Falken SN 832 is probably quite good as it has an A rating in the wet. Try 'tyresonthedrive.com' for these at £65.99 each and a 10% discount if you buy 4. This price is fitted and balance. and they come to your home to fit them. I have used Tyres on the Drive several times and their service is very good. There is a varying price for the booking slots though (rather like doing the weekly shop on line).
You don't say if your car has wire wheels. If so you will also need a tube and the protection band that stops the tube rubbing on the end of the spokes. In our size all the tyres now are tubeless and don't have the ridges inside them to stop the tube moving.
A search on the internet will reveal prices near you
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 am

I have Avon 14" 175/70 on my car and they are great. I gave £30 a corners about 7 years ago. Still plenty of tread on them after 15000 miles. Longbridge tyres offered me a Dutch tyre (Verdistein ?) a little bit cheaper but I paid the extra for a 'British' tyre but of course when I go home I saw the 'made in China' on the sidewall. Apparently 175/70 is a common size explaining why they were so cheap. I find my odometer is pretty accurate. I did have 185/60 on previously (see profile piccie) that didn't rub the wheel arches so I guess my rear axle must be in the middle. The car was low and my centre box of my exhaust caught everything, steering was heavy but it didn't half handle. Odo ran fast. I fitted a 3/4" anti roll bar when I went to the 175/70 which has helped. Exhaust still grounds occasionally.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Geoff Norcliffe
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Norcliffe

Post by Geoff Norcliffe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Helo Tom,
I fitted a set of Falken SN832 Ecorun tyres to my BGT a couple of years ago, they are 165/80 and were very reasonably priced from my one man local tyre fitter. These tyres have performed very well on wire wheels. The wheels were new at the time and are suitable for tubeless tyres, not requiring banding as originals do.
About 10 years ago I put a set of the original 832s on a rubber bumper BGT that gave no trouble at all throughout my ownership of the car, including a two week tour of Scandinavia so I feel happy in recommending the Falkens.

Geoff
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I am (truly) grateful for all the helpful suggestions. However, I have to confess I've ignored them and gone for Pirelli Cinturato CA.67. Yes, I know they're ridiculously expensive (£160 each with tubes) but reputation, originality and the small fortune already spent on the car persuaded me.

I'll try and report back on handling qualities once they (and my new rear springs) have bedded in.
1973 MGB GT (currently shaking down after 3 years off the road)
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 am

Hi Tom
Good choice. I fitted these about 4 years ago. Expensive but well worth it. An added bonus is your speedo will read correctly.
Best regards
Mike Barclay