Page 1 of 1
Tyre Choice
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 pm
by Tom Brearley
My GT is back on the road (following an accident and respray) but the tyres are 10 years old and have some scoring from the crash. New tyres are required. Can I pick the collective Forum mind?
I'm not too price-sensitive (having thrown so much money at the car in the past few years I've lost count) and am looking to use it as a daily driver with some spirited driving along interesting twisty roads.
My old tyres are Uniroyal Rallyes but I found them disappointingly soft. I'd like to stick with 165/80 size.
Any recommendations?
Re: Tyre Choice
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Hi Tom
The use of 80 and 70 profile tyres is getting rarer, so fewer tyre manufacturers are making them and they are getting more expensive. However Brown and Gammons currently have an offer on Toyo 165/80 R14T TL330 tyres for £71.95 each. This price will be plus fitting etc. I can recommend Toyos as I have used them on several cars including on my B Roadster.
The Falken SN 832 is probably quite good as it has an A rating in the wet. Try 'tyresonthedrive.com' for these at £65.99 each and a 10% discount if you buy 4. This price is fitted and balance. and they come to your home to fit them. I have used Tyres on the Drive several times and their service is very good. There is a varying price for the booking slots though (rather like doing the weekly shop on line).
You don't say if your car has wire wheels. If so you will also need a tube and the protection band that stops the tube rubbing on the end of the spokes. In our size all the tyres now are tubeless and don't have the ridges inside them to stop the tube moving.
A search on the internet will reveal prices near you
Re: Tyre Choice
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 am
by Paul Hollingworth
I have Avon 14" 175/70 on my car and they are great. I gave £30 a corners about 7 years ago. Still plenty of tread on them after 15000 miles. Longbridge tyres offered me a Dutch tyre (Verdistein ?) a little bit cheaper but I paid the extra for a 'British' tyre but of course when I go home I saw the 'made in China' on the sidewall. Apparently 175/70 is a common size explaining why they were so cheap. I find my odometer is pretty accurate. I did have 185/60 on previously (see profile piccie) that didn't rub the wheel arches so I guess my rear axle must be in the middle. The car was low and my centre box of my exhaust caught everything, steering was heavy but it didn't half handle. Odo ran fast. I fitted a 3/4" anti roll bar when I went to the 175/70 which has helped. Exhaust still grounds occasionally.
Re: Tyre Choice
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:03 pm
by Geoff Norcliffe
Helo Tom,
I fitted a set of Falken SN832 Ecorun tyres to my BGT a couple of years ago, they are 165/80 and were very reasonably priced from my one man local tyre fitter. These tyres have performed very well on wire wheels. The wheels were new at the time and are suitable for tubeless tyres, not requiring banding as originals do.
About 10 years ago I put a set of the original 832s on a rubber bumper BGT that gave no trouble at all throughout my ownership of the car, including a two week tour of Scandinavia so I feel happy in recommending the Falkens.
Geoff
Re: Tyre Choice
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 pm
by Tom Brearley
I am (truly) grateful for all the helpful suggestions. However, I have to confess I've ignored them and gone for Pirelli Cinturato CA.67. Yes, I know they're ridiculously expensive (£160 each with tubes) but reputation, originality and the small fortune already spent on the car persuaded me.
I'll try and report back on handling qualities once they (and my new rear springs) have bedded in.
Re: Tyre Choice
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 am
by Michael Barclay
Hi Tom
Good choice. I fitted these about 4 years ago. Expensive but well worth it. An added bonus is your speedo will read correctly.
Best regards
Mike Barclay