Page 1 of 1

1970 Wing badge

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 pm
by djgreen
My 1970 MGB wing has a small British Union flag where there Is usually a Leyland badge

The 1970 MGB on Wikipedia has the Leyland badge

Is mine a customisation or was that year on the cusp of Leyland labelling and both were factory fitted 🤷🏻

Cheers

Dave G

Re: 1970 Wing badge

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:04 pm
by Ian F
Dave, as far as I recall there was only the BL badge fitted. I definitely recall most folks removing them or not replacing them if new wings were fitted. They were seen as a dilution of the MG image of the car.
I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am rather proud of that now!

Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊

Ian F

Re: 1970 Wing badge

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:32 am
by djgreen
Ian Fozzard wrote:
> Dave, as far as I recall there was only the BL badge fitted. I definitely
> recall most folks removing them or not replacing them if new wings were
> fitted. They were seen as a dilution of the MG image of the car.
> I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded
> badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am
> rather proud of that now!
>
> Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊
>
> Ian F

Thanks Ian

Interesting about the BL rebellion !

It is definitely a replacement wing ..... the VIN number plate by the radiator is an MG Car Company plate ... could that also be a a replacement due to the same sentiments ??

Cheers

Dave G

Re: 1970 Wing badge

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 am
by Ian F
I think there were only 3 small blue BL badges at the time, one on the rocker cover and one on each wing. None had any great significance other than a claim of ownership so could be removed without consequence.

Ian F

Re: 1970 Wing badge

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am
by Charles Farran
Clausager says that the BL corporate badge was added to each front wing (except for Arab countries where MG badge fitted) from 1969 & shows a picture of the first type of BL badge with silver painting on a blue background as fitted from 1969 - 1972.
Cheers
Charles