Page 1 of 1
Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:47 pm
by djgreen
Gents
I need your help again after a weekend of dismantling !
I have checked u-tube and google but I can't find how to remove the small pear shaped retainers. Mine has a 17mm nut accessed from the boot, but it keeps turning without retracting (both sides)
The replacement ones have a screw and a cup which doesn't look like mine ??
Am I missing something ??
Any enlightenment would be appreciated
Cheers
Dave G
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:09 pm
by Ian F
Can't really help as I have the BGT, but the Moss illustration on line suggests that the screw and cup washer is the original fastening. It may be that yours is something "one-off" inflicted by a previous owner☹️
Ian F
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:21 pm
by djgreen
Hi Ian
You are probably right ... there's been 11 of them 😂
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:27 pm
by Michael Barclay
Hello Dave
Just checked the hood retainers on my 74 B. They are held on by 2 posidrive/cross headed screws. Not sure why, but the the rear screw has a spacer/cupwasher under it, the front just a plain washer. Think yours may have been" got at" by a previous owner.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Mike Barclay
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:10 pm
by B Faiers
The 17mm size suggests that someone has been there before you. As far as I'm aware there are no metric items on the B. I'm surprised a nut has been used. If I had stripped the thread in the pear shaped fastening and needed to bodge a fixing I would have drilled and tapped hole the to take a bolt.
The 'Lift the dot' studs on my B have BA size nuts so I tried to look up the metric equivalents in case the 17mm had a BA equivalent, and found this website which may be of use to others in the future:
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conv ... charts.htm
I'm not going metric until the French apoligise for the Battle of Hastings.
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 pm
by B Faiers
Perhaps the use of a cup washer made it easier to get the cross head screw balanced on the end of a screwdriver* and up through the hole in the body and started in the pear shaped fastening.
*Perhaps even a special tool or adapted screwdriver to balance and hold the cup and screw. Anyone know someone who worked on body production/ trimming back in the old days?
Re: Rear hood bar retainer removal
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am
by steve00136
I took mine off a while ago - put some pictures on my blog at
https://mgb.tips/2019/09/04/hood-fixings-bracket-mod/
Hope it helps