Page 1 of 1

Roadster Doors

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 pm
by Donald Carmichael
My Mk1 (pull handle) roadster has the usual crack on the top of the door at the window guide post. It has been welded but this repair did not last long and I now want to replace the door. I understand that new doors have to be modified to suit pull handle cars. Has anyone come across this problem before and what modification is required?
Donald Carmichael.

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:30 pm
by John Watson
Hi Donald - Unfortunately new replacement doors are not available, I have just confirmed this with our friends at BMH.
In 2011, I purchased 2 new complete push button doors from BMH and my restorer, Abingdon Car Restorations converted them to pull handle. It was a very difficult time consuming job.
My suggestion would be to try and get them repaired.
Good luck
John

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:24 pm
by Donald Carmichael
Thanks John. I'm thinking that I may get it re-skinned.
Donald

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 am
by John Barnacott
And the main reason for this common split is (GTs too)????????????
Answers on a postcard please - or this forum if it's a long way to the post office.

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 am
by Adrian Oliver
Donald:
You can use push button door skins and adapt them to pull handle, by enlarging the hole for the handle and drilling the rubber buffer hole.

John:
The 'crack of doom' as it's known, is down to the quarter-light being pushed outwards by the seal on the windscreen every time the door is slammed shut.

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:13 am
by John Barnacott
Adrian: Quarter light is certainly a contributory factor but another is often lack of lubrication of door hinges. Although the door appears to swing easily when operated at door handle end, if the door is removed leaving the hinges in situ you will very often find these to be quite stiff, this naturally causes a stress factor adjacent to their fixing point in the door frame and eventually exacerbates the split problem. So free up hinges with WD40 then lubricate liberally and regularly with engine oil on the A post hinge pins.

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:12 pm
by Peter Cresswell
Donald Carmichael wrote:
> Thanks John. I'm thinking that I may get it re-skinned.
> Donald

It would be sensible to weld a reinforcement plate to the inside of the skin at the same time. This could be easily spot welded into place and dressed for priming before the skin is fitted. It can be done with the door in situ, but you need to plug weld from the outside and then there is more work to do cleaning it up for painting.
I thought that this area was eventually reinforced in production?

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:09 pm
by Donald Carmichael
Thanks to you all for your contributions. Another reason for this cracking is often that a wing mirror is fitted there and the fixing holes weaken the door skin. Thanks also for the tip about welding a strengthening plate. I will do this before fitting the new skin. Another point of note is that MGB Hive are still advertising new doors in their catalogue.
Donald Carmichael.

Re: Roadster Doors

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:25 pm
by Adrian Oliver
Trust me, it's the quarter-light:

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/door04/