Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

General MGB discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
StuBGT
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm
Forename: Stuart
Surname: McKeag
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by StuBGT »

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to MGCC so take it easy on me. I have had a '72 GT (registered same year and month as my birth!! And it's the 'orange' of my eye). I've owned it for 1.5 years and am learning to tinker and repair within my limits of course - I have no particular skills. I'm in Milton, Abingdon area. To my request for help/advice:

I really need some metal work/welding doing, probably a boot floor replacement and complete new rear valance - I do not want to simply fill/bodge rust holes etc. Can anyone recommend a good/expert restorer or garage in the Abingdon area with integrity, and who won't simply try to fleece me? I'd always prefer a recommendation and word of mouth to an internet search.

Thank you in advance and please feel free to assume I know nothing and talk to me as you would a small child!

Kind regards,

Stu
Stu

1972 MGB GT
User avatar
George Wilder
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: North West Essex

Re: Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by George Wilder »

Stu
Welcome to the MGCC and the MGB Register.

No doubt others who live in Abingdon will join in but probably the best person to sort out you car is Steve of Abingdon Car Restorations.
He did all the bodywork repairs and painted the Marathon MGB see https://marathonmgb.mgb-register.org/

Steve's phonenumber is 01235 833970 - very much a one man band so if he snot in leave a meassage.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
User avatar
StuBGT
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm
Forename: Stuart
Surname: McKeag
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by StuBGT »

George,

Thanks very much for the reply - I will definitely get in touch with him! Much appreciated.

Regards,

Stu
Stu

1972 MGB GT
User avatar
Michael Barclay
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:05 pm
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Abingdon

Re: Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hello Stu
Also try Kennington motors. I use them to mot my MGB and have used them for body work in the past. They do a lot of work on MGBS and have always found them to be helpful and not over expensive. Ask for Dan.
http://kenningtonmotors.co.uk
Best regards
Mike Barclay
User avatar
John Watson
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Abingdon on Thames UK

Re: Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by John Watson »

Welcome Stu to the MGB Register
Steve at Abingdon Car Restorations has looked after my 1964 MGB since 1989 when I bought it, he has fully restored it once in 1991 and again in 2011.
PM me if you want to chat.
Stay safe and well
John
Attachments
4552FAF1-27D2-4D02-9E7F-30B24A714ED9.jpeg
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
User avatar
StuBGT
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm
Forename: Stuart
Surname: McKeag
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Newbie request for help/recommendation. TQ

Post by StuBGT »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
Stu

1972 MGB GT
Post Reply