I took the MGB for its annual MoT today, and when I returned to collect it I was told it had passed but they couldn't complete the paperwork as the car was not recognised by the system, neither as a registration number or a chassis number, or both. They needed the V5C so they could enter the car onto the system, and possibly the expiring MoT.
I had read in the motoring press of problems with the new computer system that records the MoT and it appears some cars have disappeared off the system, even though the status of the MoT, the VED, the insurance and basic car details can be checked on various gov.uk sites. The problem seems to surround the move from VOSA to the DVSA, and the migration of garages from the old system to the new beta system.
With the V5C the garage was able to input the details as a new car, and eventually the screen came up with 'Start MOT'. I then had to return at least 1/2 hour later to pick up the MoT certificate. So far so good but the new MoT certificate had lost the mileage history. It is also in 'portrait' format rather than the old 'landscape' format.
So if you feel that the mileage history is important and you still have a landscape MoT certificate, then I suggest you:
1. take the V5C with you when attending for an MoT
2. make sure you keep the old MoTs to verify mileage
I now await to see if I get a 'Historic' VED renewal in December.
MoT Problems
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
MoT Problems
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
- George Wilder
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
- Forename: George
- Surname: Wilder
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Essex
Re: MoT Problems
Peter
Tomorrow there is a meeting of Club representatives with the DVLA in Swansea to discuss registration issues.
Fellow Club Director Dave Saunders is attending for the MGCC - I will send him your posting about MOTs today.
George
Tomorrow there is a meeting of Club representatives with the DVLA in Swansea to discuss registration issues.
Fellow Club Director Dave Saunders is attending for the MGCC - I will send him your posting about MOTs today.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: MoT Problems
I've returned to thread as I've recently MoT'd my MGB again this year, and as happened last year the car has disappeared off the system. I didn't take the old MoT with me as it had expired a couple of weeks earlier, so I when I picked up the car I had to return home for the V5C so they could input the details again. They did mention that they had had this problem with other tax exempt cars recently and they thought it was because of another new computer system the DVLA were using.
Has anyone else had this problem, or knows the reason it is happening?
The car passed with no advisories by the way, and as I have used the MoT garage regularly for nearly 30 years they trust me to get the paperwork and return before I have to pay.
Has anyone else had this problem, or knows the reason it is happening?
The car passed with no advisories by the way, and as I have used the MoT garage regularly for nearly 30 years they trust me to get the paperwork and return before I have to pay.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
- George Wilder
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
- Forename: George
- Surname: Wilder
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Essex
Re: MoT Problems
Peter
I and two other tax exempt MG owners I know use the same garage for MOTS.
There have been no problems with entering the cars on the "system".
Interestingly last week I had to leave the RV8 there for MOT - normally I am present when my car is MOTed. As i was away I was able to check the results visa the MOT enquiry servce on my phone long before I got back to collect the car.
I and two other tax exempt MG owners I know use the same garage for MOTS.
There have been no problems with entering the cars on the "system".
Interestingly last week I had to leave the RV8 there for MOT - normally I am present when my car is MOTed. As i was away I was able to check the results visa the MOT enquiry servce on my phone long before I got back to collect the car.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: MoT Problems
Hi George,
I also know many people who don't have the same problem!
The car does exist on both the DVLA and DVSA sites, and I can do a vehicle check, MoT History and Insurance and VED checks. But for the MoT when they put in the reg no, or chassis number the car is 'not found'. If they put in the previous MoT certificate no. then all the details come up, or they can put the details in as if the car was new to the system, for example if it has been on SORN or off the road before SORN started.
I suspect the MoT Station miss a 'Save' button somewhere!!
I'm not sure if it will be easier to tackle DVSA or just make sure I take the expiring MoT each time I take the car in for a test. The latter I suspect!!!!
I also know many people who don't have the same problem!
The car does exist on both the DVLA and DVSA sites, and I can do a vehicle check, MoT History and Insurance and VED checks. But for the MoT when they put in the reg no, or chassis number the car is 'not found'. If they put in the previous MoT certificate no. then all the details come up, or they can put the details in as if the car was new to the system, for example if it has been on SORN or off the road before SORN started.
I suspect the MoT Station miss a 'Save' button somewhere!!
I'm not sure if it will be easier to tackle DVSA or just make sure I take the expiring MoT each time I take the car in for a test. The latter I suspect!!!!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
- George Wilder
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
- Forename: George
- Surname: Wilder
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Essex
Re: MoT Problems
Peter
I understand the MOT system only requires the last four digits of a Vin or Chassis number to be entered.
There have been problems with a type which was not recognised because the tester put the digits from the beginning of the chassis number
George
I understand the MOT system only requires the last four digits of a Vin or Chassis number to be entered.
There have been problems with a type which was not recognised because the tester put the digits from the beginning of the chassis number
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
-
Donald Carmichael
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:26 am
- Forename: Donald
- Surname: Carmichael
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: East Lothian
Re: MoT Problems
I sent my recently acquired BGT V8 for its MOT last month. The testing station pointed out that the old certificate had the car as an MGF. I e-mailed VDSA with a copy of the V5C and they amended their records.