I am having problems with the carbs on my MGB, they keep flooding and I can't get the engine to run properly - I will have to take it to a garage to sort out, the nearest to me is Summit MG in Maidenhead - has anyone used Summit before, and if so would you recommend them?
Thanks,
Jim
Problem with Carbs
- James Atkins
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 pm
- Forename: James
- Surname: Atkins
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Marlow. Bucks
- John Watson
- Posts: 277
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm
- Forename: John
- Surname: Waton
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Abingdon on Thames UK
Re: Problem with Carbs
Summit are good, talk to Mike or Gary
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
- James Atkins
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 pm
- Forename: James
- Surname: Atkins
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Marlow. Bucks
Re: Problem with Carbs
Thanks John, I have been today to see the guys at Summit MG and they are going to sort it all out for me on Wednesday, and will only take a day so hopefully be able to take her to one of the New Year shows.
Jim
Jim
- James Atkins
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 pm
- Forename: James
- Surname: Atkins
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Marlow. Bucks
Re: Problem with Carbs
Just to let you all know the boys at summit mg have done a great job sorting out my carbs.
And she is running just great, these guys are 100%
And she is running just great, these guys are 100%
-
Dave Linkson
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 am
- Forename: Dave
- Surname: Linkson
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: Problem with Carbs
What did they do then Jim? Put in new float valves? Cleanup? If new valves, did they renew with standard or use grose valves? Thanks...
- James Atkins
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 pm
- Forename: James
- Surname: Atkins
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Marlow. Bucks
Re: Problem with Carbs
This is what is the description of the work done from my invoice:
"Stripped and removed float bowls, replace needle valve kits and floats with uprated type and new float pins, replace needle with correct richer type to suit K&N filters, adjusted jets and balance carbs".
I don't know what type of new valves were put in! sorry.
The reason I was having problems with it running rich was that when whoever put the K&N filters on, they should have changed the float needles to the richer type.
Jim
"Stripped and removed float bowls, replace needle valve kits and floats with uprated type and new float pins, replace needle with correct richer type to suit K&N filters, adjusted jets and balance carbs".
I don't know what type of new valves were put in! sorry.
The reason I was having problems with it running rich was that when whoever put the K&N filters on, they should have changed the float needles to the richer type.
Jim
-
Dave Linkson
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 am
- Forename: Dave
- Surname: Linkson
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: Problem with Carbs
I also have K&Ns but with standard AAU needles and runs fine, my RR tuner told me richer needles are not nessacary unless top end performance is required..it runs fine at the legal limit..
Do you have a modified engine Jim? I'm just curious as to why one engine needs the richer needles and the other doesn't.. Cheers
Do you have a modified engine Jim? I'm just curious as to why one engine needs the richer needles and the other doesn't.. Cheers
- James Atkins
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 pm
- Forename: James
- Surname: Atkins
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Marlow. Bucks
Re: Problem with Carbs
Sorry for the delay in replying! - No I don't have a modified engine - sorry but I have no idea why one engine would need the richer needles, whilst another doesn't - I was told the richer needles were needed due to the modern fuels now used - mine runs on unleaded.
In the end I also had to have the new "black" floats and carburettor tops, and fuel regulator, which now seems to have lost solved the problems!
Jim
In the end I also had to have the new "black" floats and carburettor tops, and fuel regulator, which now seems to have lost solved the problems!
Jim
-
Dave Linkson
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 am
- Forename: Dave
- Surname: Linkson
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: Problem with Carbs
Thought they all ran on unleaded now, I also have the latest plastic floats fitted, but they are brown.
What do you mean by carb tops? Suction chambers or float chamber lids?
A fuel regulator isn't needed if using a standard SU fuel pump..
What do you mean by carb tops? Suction chambers or float chamber lids?
A fuel regulator isn't needed if using a standard SU fuel pump..