Hello all
Having agreed to buy a 1972/73 GT last weekend, I collect it after Easter. When I have it, I shall enter details into the register, unless it's already there of course. The car was manufactured in 1972 but first registered in March 1973. It's Teal Blue with black interior and overdrive. The seller, a long standing local MG repairer/restorer, has known the car since 1971 and feels the 78k on the odometer is probably true. There's a wad of history with it that I shall have fun going though. The car had had a complete re-spray and he got carried away with the engine bay which is to show standards.
Being a state pensioner this year, my car interests have tended to be that of my youth and early adulthood. In 2004 I bought a Westfield kit and built it to register it in 2005. It didn't get a huge amount of use until the summer of 2010 when two Westfields toured France over a fortnight. Soon after that it was sold and went to Southern Spain; I believe it's back in the UK now. I then felt in need of a proper car and bought a 4 year old MX5 which was OK but didn't really excite me. That went last year to be replaced by a small Citroen van for my wife for her dog sports and that trundles us around economically.
My thoughts drifted to a classic, initially a Spridget, but then the B GT. We have three Spaniels (their breed cannot be posted in here being -er on the end of a male organ) and I thought the GT would be good for us to take them in occasionally.
So roll on next week.
I have a query which I may post separately, but I was looking to see if any B GT owners have sorted out any form of dog guard behind the front seats? Barjo who make cages, crates and guards have quoted me for a bespoke one but their place in Berkshire is a long way from Derbyshire
New member - first MGB, a GT
-
Kerry Schofield
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
- Forename: Kerry
- Surname: Schofield
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Derby
New member - first MGB, a GT
Kerry Schofield
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
-
Kerry Schofield
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
- Forename: Kerry
- Surname: Schofield
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Derby
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Meant to say that when I bought the MX5 I was also looking for an RV8 which, at the time, were about the same price. Financial error. MX5 depreciated, RV8 appreciated.
Kerry Schofield
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
- John Watson
- Posts: 277
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm
- Forename: John
- Surname: Waton
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Abingdon on Thames UK
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Welcome Enjoy your MBGGT. This year is the 50th anniversary of the BGT, come to the MG Live event at Silverstone in June, we will have a special display of BGT's
John
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
-
Kerry Schofield
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
- Forename: Kerry
- Surname: Schofield
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Derby
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Thanks, John. I found the announcement of the B GT in my October 1965 Motor Show issue of The Autocar!! In glorious half-tone!
I have been looking for the dates for MG Live but it's not obvious go me when it is. I am on the iPhone and the main MGCC doesn't seem to work too well on it.
I have registered to be part of a record attempt Classic car procession based around the Coventry Transport Museum on June 14th though.
I have been looking for the dates for MG Live but it's not obvious go me when it is. I am on the iPhone and the main MGCC doesn't seem to work too well on it.
I have registered to be part of a record attempt Classic car procession based around the Coventry Transport Museum on June 14th though.
Kerry Schofield
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
- John Watson
- Posts: 277
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm
- Forename: John
- Surname: Waton
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Abingdon on Thames UK
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Hi Kerry If you follow this link it might help www.mgcc.co.uk/mglive it the 2oth 21st June.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
-
Kerry Schofield
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
- Forename: Kerry
- Surname: Schofield
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Derby
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Yup! Been there! But didn't read it properl! 20/21June. At either Shelsley Breskfast Club or Coventry the previous weekend and Cadwell historic the weekend after so I think I'll have used up my June pass-outs! And there's a dog competition the 20/21st too, so most unlikely to make it this year I'm afraid. But thank-you for the information.
Kerry Schofield
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
- George Wilder
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
- Forename: George
- Surname: Wilder
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Essex
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
Kerry
You just can't miss MG Live!
Ask nicely for an extra pass out -Silverstone is not that far from Derbyshire - it willbe worth it!!!!
George
You just can't miss MG Live!
Ask nicely for an extra pass out -Silverstone is not that far from Derbyshire - it willbe worth it!!!!
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
-
Kerry Schofield
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
- Forename: Kerry
- Surname: Schofield
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Derby
Re: New member - first MGB, a GT
We'll see. Apparently I have been told the dog competition may not happen after all. So you never know.
Kerry Schofield
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!
1972/3 MGB GT and a 56' narrowboat...oh...and a Volvo and caravan!